Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Computer not creating or keeping restore points.

This is a discussion on Computer not creating or keeping restore points. within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My computer hasn't been creating system restore points like it should. I have it set to automaticially make a new

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

My computer hasn't been creating system restore points like it should. I have it set to automaticially make a new point daily which is sometimes doesn't. Also it doesn't keep the points for only a day and then deletes them. I have GBs of free space so space shouldn't be a problem.
I did do a complete clean wipe of the computer and started it back to factory settings a long time ago. I don't know if I did something wrong that is causing this problem or not. Had to do it due to a virus that was untouchable without a clean start.
A couple months ago I realized the time it kept the restore points were shorter and shorter. I had a virus that I wanted to do a restore the next day to remove due to the spyware not picking it up. All the restore points from the day before were gone.
I have been making manual points usually twice a week. I just checked and there were no points saved and it had only been two days ago that I had made one besides the ones it did happen to make.
It use to keep the points saved for up to a week before deleting them. Now I'm lucky if it has one the day before.
Is there a way to fix this problem or at least check to see if some settings need to be changed? I have it set on daily automatic points around 7 or 9am since we don't use the computer much around then. I'd really appericate any help with this problem since we use it often due to my husband picking up virus'.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Its a thing with Win7, if it hasn't been 7 days since the last restore point has been created then it won't run the scheduled restore point.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

I have Windows Vista. I've been manually creating restore points a couple times a week and it still most of the time not create a new one since I created mine. It also isn't creating a new point when installing new software.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Vista does the same thing except its only limited by 24 hours. So if it hasn't' been that long since your manual restore point it won't run the scheduled one.

As for the applications, it depends on what applications you are installing. If the installer isn't compatible with system restore then it won't create a restore point.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:47 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

For the work around I would do this.

Download the two files from here: System Restore Point - Shortcut - Vista Forums

Set the restore point that has no description to run automatically every 24 hours. Then before you install a program, run the restore point that asks for a description.

Then you'll have all of your restore points.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:59 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Right click the My Computer on your desktop and select properties. In the system properties window on the left hand side you'll see System Protection. Click that and in the new window under Protection Settings you'll see a list of drives. Select your drive and then click on the configure radio button just below that. You will see a slider bar that will allow you to increase the space reserved for system restore. Make sure that when you increase it you still have lots of free disk space left. I have a 500 gig HD and Windows 7 has mine set at 10% which only allows me to go back a few days. As it fills up with restore points Windows deletes the old ones to make room for the new one. Increasing this will give you more restore points (dates).
Old 07-14-2011, 11:58 PM   #7
Registered Member

Windows Vista doesn't have the slider to increase the size.