Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Computer loses video signal and fans/drives rev up.

This is a discussion on Computer loses video signal and fans/drives rev up. within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I am having a very very annoying issue with my computer. I had recently re-installed microsoft windows, and this

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I am having a very very annoying issue with my computer. I had recently re-installed microsoft windows, and this puts the total to about...7-8 times, in hopes that it was something I had done that made my computer act this way.

The problem is that during someform or another, and this is also assuming the computer starts up in the first place, at a random time the screen will lose video input, my PNY GeForce 9600 GT will go to high-rev, my Disk Drives will begin revving up, and I cant do anything. This forces me to hold down the power button, something I dread doing, and hoping it will fix itself....It is not a dirty computer as I spent two days with a can of air cleaning it.

This either happens during bootup, where the monitor doesnt even bother receiving input, or during normal usage, or more importantly, playing battlefield 2, the only game I had bothered to install completely.

This problem has happened before, namely with games like tabula rasa and battlefield 2, but usually very infrequently. However, I had recieved a 23" ACER LCD Widescreen monitor, and it is using the white digital video cord that it came with....the one that has the horizontal bar in the connection area. It has happened more often with it.

One problem I am concerned with is my power supply. I know the 9600 GT takes up a bit more power than normal, and my power supply unit didnt completely match the recommendation. I had been using a 19" standard dell monitor that didnt take up any power at all, or so it seemed. I am also using the previous generation Logitec G15 Keyboard, and that just adds to my concern of a lack of power issue.

Also, I had a slew of updates to install and the computer hadnt really crashed as often until I installed the newest batch of Nvidia drivers or whatnot...I am contemplating a system restore but I dont know how important those updates were . And regardless, the problem would more than likely still occur. Please, any help would be appreciated!