Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Computer keeps restarting on shutdown

This is a discussion on Computer keeps restarting on shutdown within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. ​I just built my first computer. It keeps restarting when I go to shut it down via windows, the actual

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
Registered Member

​I just built my first computer. It keeps restarting when I go to shut it down via windows, the actual shutdown button, and even if I select to put it to sleep it wakes back up right away. I updated the bios, reset the cmos, checked to make sure that it should actually shutdown when I select shutdown in the settings, check to make sure I didn't have my reset and shutdown wires backwards in the motherboard. I'm kind of out of ideas on what to do. I'm not getting any errors and other than it restarting when I want to shut it down or sleep it works fine.

System is:
Amd fx6100
gigabye 970a-d3
g.skilll 12mb ram
galaxy gefore 430gt
585w x-power psu
windows 7 home premium 64 bit

Old 03-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

Check your PSU and the power cables. Your PSU might be faulty. Try another PSU to diagnose it.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 08-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
Registered Member

I have the same problem. My mb died and I replaced it with a gigabyte 970a-d3. Tried replacing the power supply, updating the bios, disabling any wake from LAN or mouse options in the bios and in my network adapter settings, changing the properties of the shutdown button, using the restart button as the power button (switched the wiring on the mb), and changing the system recovery options in settings. Nothing worked and tech support said I need to do a clean install, but I don't want to have to reinstall all my programs. I also updated the mb drivers and graphics card drivers. any suggestions anyone?
Old 08-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
Registered Member

OK I isolated the problem to an IDE controller card I'm using. The card doesn't even have to be connected to the hard drive ribbon cable - once it's in the slot, the restart problems continue. I tried a different PCI -Express slot and same thing.

Any ideas besides getting a new controller card?
Old 08-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
Registered Member

Turned out to be a bad IDE controller card. Got a different one and now all is well. I hate computers.