Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Computer idiot needs help!

This is a discussion on Computer idiot needs help! within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Could someone please help me fix these 2 problems on my new laptop? It's running Windows 7, and I can't

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

Could someone please help me fix these 2 problems on my new laptop? It's running Windows 7, and I can't seem to find out why it won't allow me to do a few things. My first problem is that it won't allow me to save or open files downloaded from the internet. I just get a box saying that I can open, save or save as. I can click on any of the 3 and absolutely nothing happens. I have updated Adobe, so don't think that is the problem (that's all I could think of to do on my own!)
My 2nd problem is that when I am at a website and go to file to send a link or a page somewhere, I am not able to do that because "send link by e-mail" and "send page by e-mail" are greyed out.
I have googled the first problem and see that alot of people have experienced the same thing. Alot of the advice to fix the problem confuses me as I am NOT very computer savvy.
Can someone give me easy to follow instructions on how to fix these things? They are quite annoying!
Thanks so much!

Old 03-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

Where are you trying to save and open the files to and from?

Also can you give us the make and model of your machine, and a description of what you might have installed, changed or done before this started happening.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 03-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

What browser are you using? If you are using Firefox, by default it saves files to C:\users\username\downloads. You can change the default location under Tools/Options/General/Downloads/Save Files To.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer_24 View Post
Where are you trying to save and open the files to and from?

Also can you give us the make and model of your machine, and a description of what you might have installed, changed or done before this started happening.
I usually just save to My Document files or to my desktop. I save from websites, for example, today I tried to download my bank statements. It appears as though the file downloads, and then a box appears asking me if I want to open, save or save as the file, but nothing happens when I click on any of them. When I click open, it just goes to a blank page. When I click on save or save as, nothing at all happens.
My computer is a Toshiba Notebook with 6 GB of RAM, and the processor is AMD A6-3400M APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.40 GHz. The computer name is L750D-037-PC.
I have only had the computer for a few months, and I believe I have had this problem from the beginning. I don't think I've added much to it in terms of programs and stuff, and I am not computer literate enough to go and change things around anywhere.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
What browser are you using? If you are using Firefox, by default it saves files to C:\users\username\downloads. You can change the default location under Tools/Options/General/Downloads/Save Files To.
I am using Internet Explorer as a browser.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

Which format are the statements in?

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 03-03-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer_24 View Post
Which format are the statements in?
I believe they are PDF files.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

In IE go to Tools/View Downloads (or press CTRL+J) You can Right click the download and choose Open Containing Folder to take you to the download location.

Closed Thread
Gear in this thread