Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer help forum: Win7 decided to commit suicide, any help on reviving it? :)

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Hey!

So.. my sister came to me with her laptop, telling me it was broken. She told me she was watching a movie and it just shut down. But the laptop has endured quite a lot during its almost 3 year life, it's got a few dents and such..

The laptop:

LENOVO U410 Idealpad.
Specs:
IdeaPad U410 LaptopÂ*| Lenovo US

It's got Windows 7 Home Premium installed on it.

The problem is that windows doesn't boot anymore. I've been getting multiple different errors. At first it would just go to automatic recovery every time the laptop was started, which wouldn't solve anything. I then used Lenovo 's OneKey to reset the laptop to factory settings. And now I'm getting 2 different errors.

Whilst starting the laptop a few things might happen. It might just crash on startup with error 0xc00000e9.

Other times when starting the laptop, I'll get the 'select what you want to do: start in safe mode, with command promt, another option which I don't remember, normal boot. If I select normal boot it most of the times gets me to a login screen. I've gotten a weird popup when that happened once. Foto:

And it sometimes gives me a BSOF:

What I was planning to do:
-Use Linux on a USB and a keyfinder to find the microsoft office key
-Reinstall a fresh copy of windows from a USB following this tutorial: How to Install Windows 7 Without the Disc | PCWorld

But that was before I really payed attention to the errors, of which I am now wondering if there might be a way to fix the errors instead of doing a full reinstall. And I'd also like to know the easiest way of finding the windows office serial key of the laptop happy (it came preinstalled).

If anyone can help me with this that would be greatly, GREATLY appreciated! grin

Kind regards,

CriticalRocket

See less See more
#3 ·
It sounds like the HDD is failing if a factory reinstall failed.
Download the ISO image for Seatools in my signature and burn the image to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature or burn to USB Flash with SeaFlash in my signature. Run the Short and Long tests on the HDD. If either test fails the HDD needs to be replaced.
to find your Office Product key use magicaljellybean Key finder

#5 ·
Hey!

First of all, everyone thanks for the replies.
I'll try the HDD test ASAP :)

The only problem is, the laptop has a SSD and a HDD. windows is installed on the SSD. So I don't know which of them actually is the problem. Can SeaTools tell me which one is?

And magicjellybean isn't an option, as it only works for windows, and I can only acces the laptop with Linux. I did however make a copy of the windows\system32 folder, so I'm going to try to just copy that to my other laptop and then running MJBKF or some other program on that fake windows directory. I did get copy errors though when trying to copy the folder, some files were corrupted or smthing, registry files I believe. I don't really remember, but something was wrong with sys32.

#6 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.