Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Computer freezes up after monitor wakes up

This is a discussion on Computer freezes up after monitor wakes up within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Help! Every once in awhile my computer freezes up after the monitor wakes up from sleep mode. Only the monitor

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
Registered Member

Help!
Every once in awhile my computer freezes up after the monitor wakes up from sleep mode. Only the monitor goes to sleep. The computer sleep mode is set to Never. The only way I can use the computer is to turn the power button off, doing a hard reboot. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.
This is a very annoying problem. Hope somebody can help me stop it from happening.
Thanks.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
Windows Tech Team
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

First test to see if it's your monitor and not something else that's causing the hang. Set it to not have your monitor sleep (if it's a CRT monitor make sure to set a screensaver as well to prevent burn-in). Leave it inactive for a good while and check it. If your PC is responsive after a long time of inactivity, it's certainly something to do with video or the monitor.

You may also want to check in advanced settings for your power options if your HD is set to turn off after a while, as that is often the reason for PCs freezing while inactive.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
Registered Member

VirGnarus:
Thanks for the reply.
I set the monitor to never turn off and let it run for a long time. The computer didn't lock up. I tried turning the monitor off after 5 minutes and now it doesn't lock up. It only happens every so often.
The hard drive is set to never turn off.
Don't know if you can help me much until it happens again. It's a strange malfunction.
Thanks.