Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Computer freezes after 10 minutes

This is a discussion on Computer freezes after 10 minutes within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Can anyone help......my hp laptop freezes after being on for 10 minutes or so. I have had issues in the

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 05:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

Can anyone help......my hp laptop freezes after being on for 10 minutes or so. I have had issues in the past (first one when installing an update 8 months ago). I had to do a system restore. I realized after looking for another antivirus program that sp1 and sp2 were not installed. My computer lost power during the updates and now I can't download them because my computer freezes while downloading. CTRL alt delete gets me nowhere, so have have to shut the computer off. Any ideas? My battery doesn't hold charge for very long, so I use the adapter all of the time.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:06 AM   #2
Registered Member

Go to www.filehippo.com . Download cleaner (freeutility). Install & run per menus.

1. Run analyze .. Will take a minute or 2.
2. When analyze finishes, click on cleaner.
3. When 100%complete..click on run cleaner Button in lower right corner. Rerun cleaner (button) until you see a green bar and 100% across top of screen.
4. Next, click on registry button.. Left side of screen. After scan is complete ( min or 2) click on fix issues... When asked.. Click on backup to backup registry before starting fix... This let's you restore in case of a problem ..
5. Click on fix all problems..
6. May not be necessary, but repeat step 4 and 5 until you get 100% green bar at top of screen.

The above will clean up all those old files & registry errors left over from uncommitted install

7. Reboot
8. Run cleaner again and repeat above
9. Optional... Click on tools left side of screen, startup, check all those programs that are set to run when you reboot..go careful her.. I suggest if you do not recognize an entry, google it to see what it is. If not needed, click on enable yes to change to no..this action will stop a lot of unused useless stuff or stuff that need not run at startup..
10. Reboot

This should clean up most if not all of your problem... If not, you may have a virus or malware and need to clean that up..

I recommend using malwarebytes ( another free utility)... Install and let it run... Follow their instructions

From there if you still have a problem.. Let me know

Old 01-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
Registered Member

I did the malware and cleaner. I was uninstalling sims (was taking forever) and during the process computer goes to to a black screen saying it needed to "dump" and something about debugging?