Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Computer Does not start up - Freezes CONSTANTLY when running.

This is a discussion on Computer Does not start up - Freezes CONSTANTLY when running. within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello all, This is my last resort to figure out why Bert (my computer) is dieing on me. He is

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello all,

This is my last resort to figure out why Bert (my computer) is dieing on me.

He is a 1 year old computer with Windows Vista 64 bit (Instal, not upgrade) Service pack 1, with 4 gb of Ram, a 500gb hard drive, and a 3.0GHz quad-core processor.

Lately, ive had troubles with him though,

It doesn't always start up correctly, and freezes on the Microsoft loading page, with the green loading bar.

When i try to start it in safe mode.. you'll all reconize this next part: It gets stuck on Crcdisk.sys (Yes, that infamous problem)

Ive googled the subject till i was blue in the face, and ive managed to get it to start up again (only 50% of the time) by doing the following:

I try to start up the computer, it freezes on the loading page
I hold the power button for 4 seconds to turn it off
Turn off the power bar
Press Bert's power button to drain any residual power
Turn on the power bar
Turn on Bert, and it starts properly.

So problem 1 is, id like to figure out how to fix the crcdisk.sys problem permanently, and the second problem is arguably worse:

When i do manage to turn it on, the computer is extremely unresponsive. It will freeze doing ANYTHING (Opening folders/files, Opening/closing windows, Opening/closing Firefox, or Internet Explorer, Loading anything in firefox or internet explorer... Basically anything that a computer can do, will freeze it.)

It will freeze, and the window will "Not responding", and sometimes if i wait a good 30 seconds - 2 minutes, it will unfreeze, but this is not guarenteed, and i often have to restart the computer (while doing the whole power bar thing)

I do own the Windows Vista disk, (I built this computer myself) and i have tried the repair function, but i do not want to reformat the computer, because as you can all understand, i have things on here i dont want to loose (that cant be transfered to an external hard drive)

As a side note, i have also ran what i beleive to be was a Chkdisk. I unplugged the HDD's power cable, and plugged it back in, the computer reconised it as a new piece of hardware, and runs an automatic check on it. The check DOES come up with various problems, they are fixed automatically, and the computer will start. (Only that one time though. If i turn it off and back on again, it resumes the problems from before.)

ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Do you have Internet Security Suite installed - NIS, N360, McAfee, etc...?

Vista SP2 + all outstanding Windows Updates should be installed - http://sysnative.com/0x1/Vista_SP_Prepwork.html

Run Hardware diagnostics -

Run memtest86+ - http://www.techsupportforum.com/2863029-post5.html
Run HDD diags - http://www.techsupportforum.com/2828431-post7.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

Old 01-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
Registered Member

I don't have any antivirus or Internet security programs installed (dumb, i know)

I am only aware of ONE virus that i have ever received, but i believe i deleated it by running a Chkdsk. (The symptoms of it dissappeared after anyways)

Im sorry though, i need a bit more information for the memory check.. Which one do i download, and how exactly do i run it?

And im running the SeaTools as we speak.. Long Generic and Short generic are the only ones that work.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
Registered Member

The Sea Tools tests came up without any flaws.. Id like to "bump" this post, because im not getting any help, and its been about a week since ive been able to use my computer.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Memtest86+

- download this zip - http://www.memtest.org/download/4.10...+-4.10.iso.zip
- extract the ISO
- burn ISO to CD
- boot with CD

Run memtest86+ one stick at a time; alternate the slots.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`
Old 01-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
Registered Member

Now this may be because im doing something wrong (in which case i would feel like a fool)

But ive downloaded the .Zip file, ive extracted it, and placed the ISO file on a CD, and burned it to it.

Ive inserted it into the dead computer, and when i turn it on, i hit F12 to bring up the boot menu.. i select CD ROM, and when the option that normally says "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD" is supposed to come up, the screen just goes black, and then brings me to the "Windows did not start properly last time" page, where it offers me the choice to start it regularly, or in safe mode, etc..

I then went back to the file, Opened up the .ISO file, and took ITS contents and burned it on to a separate disk, and tried again, but no luck.

help?
Old 01-10-2011, 08:41 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

You can't just copy the ISO image file to a CD, you have to burn the image file with IMGBurn. which will make it bootable. Boot the computer with the newly created CD with one stick of RAM in at a time.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #8
- Microsoft Support

Since chkdsk really wouldn't do anything to remove a virus, I'd suggest getting one of the many free ones like AVG or http://www.avast.com. Those program may or may not install if you are currently infected. If your computer is "locking up", you might actually be feeling the affects of a virus or trojan that's using all of your resources. You might spot something using task manager to see how much of your CPU is being used. Malwarebytes is a good utility to remove junk since it's one of the few that can be installed, updated, and run from safe mode.

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-
Old 01-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #9
Registered Member

yes, ive considered that, but ive checked in the task manager while things were normal, or frozen, and theres nothing out of the usual in terms of cpu, memory, or HDD consumption..

And thank you spunk, il try that tomorrow
Old 01-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #10
Registered Member

Ok so ive run the Mem test properly, with only one stick of ram in each time.

They both came up as a pass, with no errors..

What now?
Old 01-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #11
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Run HDD diagnostics.

Start w/ Sea Tools for DOS - SeaTools for DOS | Seagate

Download this ISO - http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOS222ALL.576.ISO

Burn it to CD with ImgBurn.

Boot with Seatools CD.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #12
Registered Member

Done and done. Burned the Cd, booted with it, ran the tests:

Short Basic test came up fine, no errors

Acoustic test came up fine

The Long basic test, however, green codes (too small to read) appeared at the top of the screen, everything froze, but, most concerning, the HDD was generating a constant BEEEEEEEP....

I had to turn the computer off by holding the power button for 4.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:47 AM   #13
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Run HDD diags - http://www.techsupportforum.com/2828431-post7.html
Old 01-14-2011, 07:09 PM   #14
Registered Member

Your link for the HDD manufacturers diagnostic tools appears to be broken.. sorry.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:38 PM   #15
Registered Member

-Bump- Your link for the manufacturers HDD diagnostics appears to be broken..

it just takes me to a Tacktech picture..

so i took it upon myself to search the site (although its pretty vast) and i managed to find a link to the Western Digital (my HDD manufacturers) website, and i downloaded a DOS boot file that is a diagnostic.. and i tried booting with it but it said there was no drives that it reconises..

so i called WD, and after having a chat, im trying to get my computer to start up properly just once, for long enough that i can download the version that runs off the computer.. not the boot version..

Any suggestions?
Old 01-15-2011, 05:02 PM   #16
Registered Member

The Western Digital Long test has just finished, and it was a complete PASS. no errors..

So far.. thats been ever test that has come up with 0 errors..

man what is causing this problem?
Old 01-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #17
Registered Member

Bump....
Old 01-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #18
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Run Prime95 test - CPU - Stress Test with Prime95 - Windows 7 Forums

Closed Thread