Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cluster architecture! Which one to pick?

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  joeten 
#1 ·
So...

Which, from one of these, is better as of performance for a Windows 7 OS?

2048 or...
4096 bytes / per cluster formatting?

Expert reply please (tech. details)!

Many thanks!

P.S. Enjoy the free upgrade to Windows 10, from Windows 7 or up. Thanks to the Microsoft and an off-shore communities! :)

#2 ·
Hi, well cluster architecture (server based) is not what you are referring to, I assume you mean the allocation unit size cluster?

Why do you want to know, and what do you use your computer for? We have found that the default works for most users, there is pro's and con's to any changes. SSD's also make a difference.

If you are in the process of formatting, then the following will not be relevant.

To see what you have go to start search and type:- cmd right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the prompt copy paste:-

fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo c: > 0 & notepad 0 press enter ( this assumes the drive is C:, if not change), you can post the notepad outcome here if you like.

#3 ·
Hi, well cluster architecture (server based) is not what you are referring to, I assume you mean the allocation unit size cluster?

Why do you want to know, and what do you use your computer for? We have found that the default works for most users, there is pro's and con's to any changes. SSD's also make a difference.

If you are in the process of formatting, then the following will not be relevant.

To see what you have go to start search and type:- cmd right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the prompt copy paste:-

fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo c: > 0 & notepad 0 press enter ( this assumes the drive is C:, if not change), you can post the notepad outcome here if you like.
-Amazing! I'll post the log, if I am intended to continue with this.

More...

Yes, the cluster size for a Windows OS.
...might Linux differ on this?

So, they are suggesting 1/2/3/4 summs / amounts.

My interest puts out on 2048 and (&) 4096 - which is better, I mean faster on copy-paste for example? :)

#5 ·
My interest puts out on 2048 and (&) 4096 - which is better, I mean faster on copy-paste for example? :)
The question isn't that simple. Few thing in complex technology are.

The optimum cluster size for file operations will depend on file size and how they are used. Since file size and usage patters vary greatly in a typical Windows installation there isn't going to be one optimum size. It becomes a matter of averages. Microsoft has chosen 4096 bytes as the default cluster size for NTFS and that seems to be as close to optimum as any other in most situations. Of course they will be unusual situations where some other size might be better. The trick is in making that determination. It is not a simple thing. And we are talking about unusual situations. And even then I don't expect there would be much difference.

Based on the information provided your situation does not seem unique or unusual. I see no reason to choose anything but the default cluster size. Except for a few experiments I have never used any other.

#6 ·
It's labeled as "Microsoft Tech Team" - so you guys over there might test things out, and provide us with a reply!

Still, I'm pretty sure that some of yours know the answer to it as one-two-three, just might find that guy.

Reducing the cluster size by half might affect even better on performance.

And also, is it true that Windows XP SP2 works much faster? How soon it is SP4 arrives?

...Luck! :) ...thanks for replies.

#7 ·
The term Microsoft Tech Team, is an acknowledgement of the skills of the people on the team and there knowledge of MS operating systems, not a statement of working for Microsoft, it is also not a prerequisite to work for MS, there could be folks here who do or have, we do not ask them as it would not make any difference to us. The sheer fact they are skilled enough and wish to give up their valuable time to help others, with no recompense speaks more of them as a person.

#9 ·
Reducing the cluster size by half might affect even better on performance.
Maybe. More likely it would make it slower. Not that you would notice the difference.
I have neither the time nor the inclination to test this.

And also, is it true that Windows XP SP2 works much faster? How soon it is SP4 arrives?
No.

Microsoft has made it very clear that SP3 is the end of the line for XP. There will be no SP4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.