Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHKDSK/R

4K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Focus 
#1 ·
Hi I started the check disk r to run on boot up and it has been running for 15 hours, how do I stop this program and get into windows? The screen saver went on and I can't even see at what point, how far along this scan is. When the screen went off it was on phase 4 10 percent. This is on Windows 7 1 TB WD hard drive .Any help much appreciated.

#2 ·
The more problems to fix, the longer it takes. Typical 2-4 hours. Frozen on Stage4 at 10% is common. Have you shut off and restarted via the power button yet? If so try to go into Safe Mode first and Run fsutil dirty query C:. Yes or No?

#3 · (Edited)
Yes, yesterday when the screen went off it was on phase 4 10 percent and I did power down. I than restarted and the scan said I had 10 seconds to cancel scan just press any key. This did not abort the scan and it has been running since. Is there any way to get screen saver to stop so I could see where the scan is? I would hate to stop it if if were close to completion? To be clear it did not freeze at 10 percent it was still clearing the drive than screen saver went on and I can not see where the scan is now.

#4 ·
If you're talking about a "normal" Screen Saver turn it off in the "normal" way in the Control Panel. At the same time, turn off all sleep and screen off settings in the Power Options. If you're talking about the Splash Screen, again the setting is in the CP and on most units it can be shut off in the bios since it's a bios function. I don't like to shut it off since you can't see what' happening at boot-up.

#6 ·
Go into the Power Management area of the Bios. It should give you an option to not suspend any ACPI activity. Remember what you did so it can be reversed.

#7 · (Edited)
The longer a Check Disk scan takes the more bad sectors you have. If you have too many, Check Disk hangs or fails. If the scan hangs or fails, the HDD needs to be replaced.
You can shut the computer down and remove the HDD and attach it either internally to desktop computer, or via a USB Adapter or by putting it into a USB Enclosure. Run the WD DataLifeGuard for Windows. Do the Short and Long tests. If either test fails, the HDD needs to be replaced.

#8 ·
When the screen went off it was almost done phase 4 from my understanding phase 5 is just checking the unused portion of the drive which is about 90 percent of the drive . I have used the DataLifeGuard numerous times, last time probably a month ago and both short and long test passed. This WD drive is a little over a year old. Still running after 24 hours just wish I could see the progress . The computer was running fine I was just taking it through this How to speed up a slow computer. | iHelpForum - Purveyors of Quality Advice and this Speeding up your internet connection. Vista/ Windows 7. | iHelpForum - Purveyors of Quality Advice.

#9 ·
The longer a Check Disk scan takes the more bad sectors you have
A HDD may fail after 2 years, 1 year, or 1 week, you never know. The WD HDD may pass short and long test, but it may fail the S.M.A.R.T test.
BTW, the 5th step of Check Disk is the longest. Check Disk may Fix the bad sectors, but I wouldn't trust this drive for a Boot drive. Once they get bad sectors, it just gets worse. Better to replace the HDD. If this drive wasn't included with the computer, it is under warranty by WD and they will replace it with a refurbished one in return. WD Support / Warranty Services / Warranty Check for End User

#10 ·
This has been running for 36 hours. There where no errors up to stage 4 on the drive. Stage 5 is just the unused portion of the drive, would there be bad sectors on this area? How can I stop the scan so I can get into windows and run the SMART test? I know the WD drive is still under warranty but like I said it was running fine.

#11 ·
It is not suggested, but you can stop the test at any time by closing Command Prompt and restarting the computer. If Check Disk is running for 36 hours, the drive is not fine now. Maybe it was fine a week ago, but there must have been a reason that you decided to run Check Disk.
I would back up any files you want on the drive and return the drive for a free refurbished one from WD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.