Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Check Disk and Overheating

This is a discussion on Check Disk and Overheating within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Gateway NV55C laptop computer that runs on Windows 7, and I've been having a few problems lately.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a Gateway NV55C laptop computer that runs on Windows 7, and I've been having a few problems lately.

At first, my computer started to overheat frequently, and shut off without warning. I thought that the problem involved my laptop fan, and was going to clean it out when a few other problems arose. My computer complete some updates (most were for Microsoft), and when it rebooted, my screen settings and resolution were messed up. My laptop was also really slow. I decided to start a session restore, and had to do this a few times, since the session restore failed. Now my computer starts up with a check disk screen that stops and will not complete once it reaches "verifying usn journal".

I'm not really sure what to do, since my laptop has so many problems and runs extremely slow now. Please help! (Also, I am not tech savy, so please simplify your answers so that I can understand).

Old 07-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi and welcome to TSF it sounds like your hard drive might be the problem you can test it with this SeaTools for DOS tutorial

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
Registered Member

I completed a system restore a few days ago, but now when I boot up my computer, it redirects to a check disk screen that gets stuck at "CHKDSK is verifying usn Journal...". If I cancel the disk check, my computer runs very slow. Is there any way for me to fix this since my laptop won't finish the check?

-----
I have a Gateway NV55C laptop with an Intel Core (i3-370M) running on Windows 7.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi
The HDD may be dieing, or it may be that you have a virus or spyware that is making it very sluggish and causing it to hang up.

Here's what I would do:

0. Save all of your files from this drive to a back up drive as you may lose them soon.

1. Do a System Restore to a point before this problem started:
a. Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore (click to open);
b. Select a restore point well before you started having these problems;
c. Start the restore process and let it complete (Name the restore operation something descriptive like "Browsing Repair").

Note: you will need to re-install any programs that were installed after that restore point -- one of which may be the cause of this. After you complete this routine, reinstall removed programs one at time so you can see if any one of them causes the problem).

NOTE: If you can't get into System Restore, go into Safe Mode and then re-do step 1.

1A. To get into Safe Mode:
a. Restart your PC.
b. During reboot, press F8 repeatedly until it gives you the option to go into Safe Mode.
c. Select Safe Mode and let the PC completely boot into safe mode.
d. Now do step 1 above
If the problem persists I would use seatools for dos and test the hdd SeaTools for DOS tutorial

Old 07-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi, yes as Joe advises checking the HDD with the seagate util will help determine the status of the HDD. Now windows itself has some inbuilt mechanisms for forcing a checkdisk, on boot a quick check takes place if the disk is marked as dirty a flag is placed in the registry so chkdsk will run at next boot.

This is known to sometimes get corrupted , so go to start search and type:- cmd, right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the prompt type:-

Code:
fsutil dirty query c:> 0 & notepad 0
(press enter) please post the notepad outcome here.

BTW:- chkdsk can take a long time to run and can appear to "hang" when in fact it is not, 24+ hours can be the time it takes.

jenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
Registered Member

Oh I see, I will try this too. Thank you! I did not realize chkdsk could take so long.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
Registered Member

Ok. Thank you joeten!
Old 07-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Your most welcome hope it helps

Old 07-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

How big is the drive and how long did you wait before cancelling the checkdisk as on a big drive that is really messed up it is not unusual to take many hours or a day as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridan1207 View Post
I completed a system restore a few days ago, but now when I boot up my computer, it redirects to a check disk screen that gets stuck at "CHKDSK is verifying usn Journal...". If I cancel the disk check, my computer runs very slow. Is there any way for me to fix this since my laptop won't finish the check?

-----
I have a Gateway NV55C laptop with an Intel Core (i3-370M) running on Windows 7.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Rich-M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
Registered Member

I started up my computer at 8 in the morning, went to work, came back and went about my day, by 12 that night it was still running but would not complete. It would run through 3 stages of the disk check, hang at "CHKDSK is veryfiying usn Journal..." and then start over again. It wouldn't complete stage 3.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #11
Registered Member

Jenae,

I inputted the code into the command prompt and received this message in notepad:

"Volume- c: is Dirty"
Old 07-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Now, start an Elevated Command Prompt as Jenae mentioned in post #5 and type
chkntfs /X C: and restart the computer. The X switch tells Windows not to run Check Disk at the next restart. Once Windows loads, open the Elevated Command Prompt and type chkdsk /R and press enter. Restart the computer. Check Disk will run one more time through 5 stages it will take a long time. If it fails or hangs, then download the ISO image for Seatools in my signature, burn the image to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature and boot off of the newly created CD and run the short and long tests. If either test fails, or it hangs, then this HDD needs to be replaced.
spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #13
Registered Member

Hello, I opened up Mozilla for the first time in a few days, and unfortunately IncrediBar has somehow been downloaded onto my computer as an add-on. I've had problems with this redirect virus in the past, but it was removed (I thought) a few years ago. I'm not sure what I'm going to do this time since I can barely navigate to Google (the script is unresponsive, and/or my browser is unresponsive)
Old 07-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
Registered Member

Thank you spunk.funk. I'll try to get that running on my computer.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

In Firefox, go to Tools/Add Ons/Extensions. If you have any toolbars listed here, highlight them and press Disable or Remove. Once they are disabled,
Go to Start/Search and type appwiz.cpl and press enter. In Programs and Features uninstall any Toolbars (eg) Incredibar, Conduit, Ask, Yahoo, Google etc that you don't use. If you continue to have problems, then your probably are still infected. Please click on the link in my signature for Virus/Malware Help and do those things and post in that section of the forum not here.
spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #16
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

You also have to go into "Tools", "Manage Addons" in Firefox and remove every trace of those suckers there as well as they survive Programs and Features uninstalls.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Rich-M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #17
Registered Member

Unfortunately I couldn't try out any more suggestions to get my computer up and running because my laptop stopped loading windows. It would scan my computer's files indefinitely. I had to insert a restore disk and reset to factory settings after buying a new hard drive. Fortunately I had backups on an external hard drive. Thank you guys for all the help!
Old 08-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #18
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Well you look to have found the problem glad your back up and running again