Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Cant uninstall and won't install.

This is a discussion on Cant uninstall and won't install. within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I was running some software and then stupidly tried to update the software. The update didn't work and now the

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

I was running some software and then stupidly tried to update the software. The update didn't work and now the software wont run either.
I get a Licensing Error message:
" Unable to initialize adlm: Internal Error Message: <Error initializing the Usage tracking component.> Error Code: <-104> "

I tried to "system restore to an earlier version" hoping all new system registry changes will revert back to when the software ran perfectly, and that didn't work. So I thought I could just uninstall this software completely using the uninstall/remove utility, then I deleted every file and folder I could find. But when I try to reinstall it tells me that the software is already installed, and so it wont install. Surely I don't have to reinstall my OS to solve this problem !?

Could anyone help me with this, is there a way that the original installation put a file deep in the far recesses of my system that wasn't removed ?

I am running on win7 64bit.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Registered Member

You might find the the free version of Revo Uninstaller helpful.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Security Team
Trainee II

Was it something you were down loading or had a CD ?
Old 10-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
Security Team
Trainee II

Window Error Code 104
Window Error Codes Repair issues can arise from a variety of computer errors usually originating from corrupt or missing registry files. Other contributing factors could be ActiveX errors or malicious software such as malware and spyware. These types of problems are the consequence of not properly maintaining your system. If left unchecked these problems can result in critical system errors, freezes, and even a total system failure.

Might want to check this out
NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help
Old 10-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarla View Post
Was it something you were down loading or had a CD ?
I downloaded a Service Pack update for the software that was working, thinking I could fix a few known bugs, once I tried to instal the SP1 update the software wouldn't launch any more. And I haven't been able to totally uninstall it either even though it appears it has been uninstalled.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
Registered Member

mettam, anytime you update the service pack, always make sure you have all framework.net updates installed first. also, as mentioned above, download, install and use revo uninstaller. after uninstalling desired program or application, it would do a scan in registry to delete any files remaining in there. note: sometimes after uninstalling programs, you have to reboot your system so windows will not continue to see any of the old program files.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
Registered Member

are you able to run any browser? chrome, explorer...etc??/
Old 10-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi, sometimes an install hangs and is left in a pending state. Windows made the Dism Util available in windows Seven it will revert the action, unfortunately the theory and the fact, very often with this util appear to be different. You might like to try this (it will do no harm)

Go to start, run and type regedit.
Navigate in the registry editor to:-

HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\current version\installer\inprogress.(if there is no in progress key, exit out, this is not the problem) If so proceed:-

Click on the inprogress key and note the name of the file listed on the right side for "databasepath" (should have a .msi extension).

Rename inprogress to oldinprogress.

Close the registry editor.

Open My Computer.

Navigate to C:\Windows\Installer (Installer folder is hidden by default), use folder options select "view" and put a check in "show hidden files and folders" apply and OK out.

Locate and rename the file noted above for "databasepath"

Reboot the computer and try the install again.

Closed Thread