Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't move to ext. hard drv - "Cannot read from the source file or disk"

6K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  jlk7e 
#1 · (Edited)
Can't move files to external hard drive - "Cannot read from the source file or disk"

Okay, I'm on Vista. I just got a new external hard drive, and was trying to move some movie folders to it. Trying to move a whole directory of similar files, most of them moved without any problem. However, some files would be unable to move. I get a message that says "Cannot read from the source file or disk" and have to skip the file to continue.

After the move of the whole folder was complete, I would try to do it again to the individual files that were left behind - the move would seem to begin, and it would tell me that the file was being moved, but at a certain point it would stop, and give me the same error message again. I would have to cancel the move.

There is nothing obviously wrong with the files. They seem to play with no obvious problems (I haven't watched any all the way through, but skipping around seems to work). I was also able to delete one of them without any problems, as well as to move them to other folders on my hard drive. I just can't seem to move or copy them to the external hard drive. I ran a check disk which did not seem to solve the problem.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.