Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't log in my user profile, loads temporary profile

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  jenae 
#1 ·
Recently my computer was freezing a lot and I had to shut it down (from the turn on/off button) and I know this is bad.
Yesterday I shut it down like this then I tried to turn it on it didn't load past the "Welcome'' screen and after some time it loaded and a message showed ''You have been logged in with a temporary profile. You cannot access your files and files created in this profile will be deleted when you log off". I tried to log-in in save mode but it did the same thing.

I was going to try ''Repair user account'' to see if it works but i can't see the ''ntuser.ini'' file? (This is about trying to copy the the files from the old account to a new one). And there are 2 ntuser.dat files one is called ntuser1.dat and the other is ntuser2.dat (or something like this) and I don't know which one to copy. Also i tried to copy all the files but it said there's not enough space.

I read some things and it said there is either not any solution or there were some things that worked for SOME people but I'm not very good at computers and in these solutions it said to delete some thing but I'm scared to lose some things in my old account or to ruin my computer!

When I log in the new account i created or when in the temporary account I CAN'T connect to internet.My internet is with cable and before when i start my computer i was clicking on the connections icon (in the right corner of start menu) and then i would click to connect. I had 2 option one is my internet provider and the other said ''unidentified network'' (this one was always connected but i didn't have internet i need to connect to the my internet provider name. But now when i click on it the only one that shows is the ''unidentified network'' which now says ''no internet access''

How can I repair this? If I have lost my user account now does that mean I need to call my internet provider to come and install the internet connection again?
- I'm using Vista

Can someone please help me, I'm not advanced in computers and sorry for my bad English.

See less See more
#3 ·
I tried it but it didn't work. :frown:

Btw I had two user profiles I can't access both but I made 2 more (while I was in the temporary user profile) and I can access them but I can't access internet (doesn't show my network) but its able to connect to wi-fi.

#7 ·
As a HDD ages, it gets bad sectors. If your login credential netuser.dat is on the bad sector, Windows will load a default profile. By Running Check Disk (chkdsk /R) it will scan and mark the sector bad and move the files to a known good sector.
Eventually the HDD is going to fail, as when Bad Clusters start happening, they start to spread. I would backup all files you can't live without and plan to replace the HDD in the near Future.

#10 ·
If it's been less than a year, you'll still be covered by the warranty.

Keep an eye on system temperatures to see if the hard drive is overheating. Poor case ventilation may have caused the previous hard drive to crash and lose data. Also, switching the computer off incorrectly can cause problems for the hard drive.

#11 ·
Hi, I have to comment on the tendency to blame HDD on this forum. The HDD is a pretty robust piece of hardware. As an example we have thousands of failed HDD (from manufacturers tests) working happily, this computer shows bad clusters and by the comments here should have been replaced, however it is still working well after three years.

Sure if you replace the HDD then it will fix the problem, however if a fresh install is done the same outcome often occurs. Worth trying the second option first.

In this case the reference is to sectors these are part of a cluster and normally can and do corrupt this is the purpose of chkdsk and in this case it fixed the problem.

You should not try to copy the ntuser files to your new account, they are hidden files BTW, so you know. You may have been lucky the chkdsk seems to have repaired your user profile it is normally more involved to repair then that.

To copy files to the new user profile
After you create the profile, you can copy the files from the existing profile. You must have at least three user accounts on the computer to complete these steps, including the new account you just created.
1. Log on as a user other than the new user you just created or the user that you want to copy files from.
2. Open the My Documents folder by clicking the Start button , and then clickingComputer. Double-click the hard disk drive that Windows is installed on (it's usually your C: drive), double-click Users, double-click the folder with the name of your account, and then double-click My Documents.
3. Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
If you don't see the Tools menu, press Alt.
4. Click the View tab, and then click Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
5. Clear the Hide protected operating system files check box, click Yes to confirm, and then click OK.
6. Locate the C:\Users\Old_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and Old_Username is the name of the profile you want to copy files from.
7. Select all of the files and folders in this folder, except the following files:
• Ntuser.dat
• Ntuser.dat.log
• Ntuser.ini
8. Click the Edit menu, and then click Copy.
If you don't see the Edit menu, press Alt.
9. Locate the C:\Users\New_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and New_Username is the name of the new user profile you created.
10. Click the Edit menu, and then click Paste.
If you don't see the Edit menu, press Alt.
11. Log off, and then log back on as the new user.
If you have e mail messages in an e mail program, you must import your e mail messages and addresses to the new user profile before you delete the old profile. If everything is working properly, you can delete the old profile.

Now, most likely you have corrupted your winsock, so no internet.

Go to start, search and type:- cmd, right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the prompt type:-

Code:
netsh winsock reset
press enter, restart computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.