Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't chkdsk, can't install updates lots of errors

2K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  Migs123 
#1 ·
Ok so my computer was slowing down considerably, and for all the life of me I couldn't do chkdsk to see if there were file integrity issues so I decided to boot and nuke with dariks boot and nuke. Then I installed vista. It appeared to be installing fine. Then I actually started downloading updates and I made sure to check the display driver and a few other updates (intel mobile chipset 965) and so I let it go and went out for the day. I told my friend to just shut the computer down when the updates were completed, and but he restarted the computer. Then apparently it was trying to update and then it just kept restarting and restarting for 6 hours and the video display didn't change to the correct display(it was still big like in safe mode). So apparently through windows update I installed the incorrect video driver, and so I just decided to clean out the software distribution folder then change it to software distribution.old, so I can start the updates afresh. Then I installed the correct display driver. Restarted and it's ok in that regard. I started doing the updates and it installed 35 updates and uninstalled and 114 not installed. I did the sfc /scannow and it said that it corrected errors but couldn't correct some of them. I have all these errors after a fresh install and I am worried. Did the restarting for 6 hours screw my system up? Should I be worried? Why is it that I couldn't do a chkdsk before the reinstall and now I still can't do a chkdsk? It also freezes now alot and I am wondering if it's because it restarted for 6 hours, or I didn't install the crucial updates yet. Help! I have been spending like 3 days doing this and I am getting frustrated

Also the last time I tried to install updates it kept saying windows defender stopped working then checksur stopped working!!!:confused:

See less See more
#4 ·
You don't think that it is viruses? Driver corruption? System file corruption? I did sfc and it said that it did some repairs but wasn't able to fix other things. I did a startup repair before this fresh install and I still had the problem of not being able to do a chkdsk. I will do it though.

#5 ·
The start up repair may be able to fix it if not there are further options with the install disc.
Why would a virus come into it ?
Driver corruption that is a small possibility, but you should not rely on windows to get you drivers you should always get the drivers from the computer makers support pages for your model, or from the motherboard maker support pages if it is a custom built PC.

#6 ·
Hello Migs,

I can take a look to see if there are any file corruptions present on your machine.

Download and Run SFCFix

Please download and run SFCFix from >Here<

It will take about 15 minutes to process. Once the scan has completed a notepad file will launch with the results. Please copy and paste the entire contents of the results and post them back into this thread. Please put [CODE][/CODE] tags around the log to break up the text.

Export CBS folder

1. Click the Start button
    then click Computer.
  2. Double-click on the C: drive, under the Hard Disk Drives category, and then scroll down to, and double click on the Windows folder.
  3. Find and double click on the Logs folder.
  4. Right-click on the CBS folder, and select Copy.
  5. Go back to your Desktop, right-click on it, and select Paste. You should now see a copy of the CBS folder appear on your Desktop called CBS.
  6. Right-click on this new folder, and navigate through Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
  7. A new file, also called CBS (CBS.zip), but this time with a different icon, will be created.
  8. Attach this to your next post please.
Please Note:: if the file is too big to upload to you next please post please upload via Dropbox or ge.tt

#7 ·
Hey I will try the sfc then post back to this forum. Actually last night I was able to boot to my installation disc and I found the command prompt and did a chkdsk /r. It repaired some errors. I tried booting to the installation disc before, but before it didn't give me the option of a command prompt. Weird. I will do So and report back

Thanks

#10 ·
Ok I did the ListChkdskResult - (I have been looking for like this -thank you!) anyway here are the contents of the chkdskresult.

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You
may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended
that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.
98816 file records processed.

7879 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

0 EA records processed.

44 reparse records processed.

Unable to locate the file name attribute of index entry poqexec.log
of index $I30 with parent 0x14b32 in file 0x14b34.
Deleting index entry poqexec.log in index $I30 of file 84786.
121674 index entries processed.

CHKDSK is recovering lost files.
1 unindexed files processed.

Recovering orphaned file poqexec.lmg (84788) into directory file 84786.
98816 security descriptors processed.

Cleaning up 129 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 129 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 129 unused security descriptors.
11430 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
The USN Journal entry version 0.0 at offset 0x9460180
in file 0xc34a is not recognized.
Repairing Usn Journal file record segment.
37417816 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

312568831 KB total disk space.
34077012 KB in 70920 files.
46480 KB in 11431 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
211539 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
278233800 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
78142207 total allocation units on disk.
69558450 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 82 01 00 bb 41 01 00 f7 4c 02 00 00 00 00 00 .....A...L......
2d 00 00 00 2c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 -...,...........
48 01 21 00 48 01 21 00 02 00 00 02 08 77 22 00 H.!.H.!......w".

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#15 ·
No i believe there so no HDD diagnostic tools in EasyBCD.

From another PC if possible follow these steps.

Downloading UBCD which is in my signature.Burn the ISO Image to a blank CD using Imgburn (How to burn a ISO Image using Imgburn) burn at lowest speed. With the newly burned cd boot with the cd go to HDD>Diagnostics>The make and model of your hard drive, Seagate, Maxtor, Drive Fitness which is Hitachi, Or Western Digital. Perform a short and long test. Could also be called "Standard" and "Extended" test or also "Comprehensive" test. The Seagate hard drive test will work on most drives.

If you do not have any blank CD's or a CD/DVD drive you can create a bootable thumb drive with UBCD. Follow the steps here to create a bootable thumb drive. Tutorials:USB Installation - UBCDwiki

#17 ·
Hey I was able to boot it from a USB. That is a really cool ISO - although I don't understand a lot of the programs.
I was able to run some speed tests and memory but where are the reports saved to? Also I tried to put the vista ISO on my USB using the RMusb but it didn't work. Why does it make you make it as syslinux when it is windows? Do I have to format the USB as fat32? I noticed that the tutorial to make ubcd USB through the command prompt I needed to call for a script file in your ISO. Is there a script file in the vista installation ISO to make it bootable?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.