Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Can't boot to Vista OS. Keeps repeating/looping

This is a discussion on Can't boot to Vista OS. Keeps repeating/looping within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have an MSI VR630 laptop which is their base model laptop. I used windows 7 as a beta tester

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have an MSI VR630 laptop which is their base model laptop. I used windows 7 as a beta tester for free for about 7 months when I first got this computer. When the free trial ran out, I restored the computer and loaded VISTA home basic edition. I had to turn off my computer to rush out the door just when I was starting windows. I left to my appointment and when I tried to restart, I got the error message to start windows in repair mode or start windows normally. I chose start windows in repair mode. So..it didn't work and it just took me back to the screen...over and over. So I tried start window normally and then tapped F8 and got the advanced options of starting in safe mode, safe mode with networking, last known configuration...etc. I've tried Safe mode...no luck...takees me back to the repeating "repair mode" screen. I've tried safe mode with networking, no luck, and safe mode with command prompt. No luck. Also have tried last known good configuration and of course same thing.

I have also been able to get to the advanced boot menu but this doesn't seem to matter.

I'd like some help if anyone out there can give me some. I called MSI tech support and all they said was that "Vista is the most unstable and the software is probably corrupt so you will have to go out and buy a new OS disk and start from scratch.

I'm hoping not. Thanks for your assistance.
Scott

Old 03-31-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus

Hi,

And welcome to TSF!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadrocks View Post
I'd like some help if anyone out there can give me some. I called MSI tech support and all they said was that "Vista is the most unstable and the software is probably corrupt so you will have to go out and buy a new OS disk and start from scratch.
Did your laptop not come with a Vista Disk? Under Microsofts OEM licensing conditions it is a requirement that they (MSI) must give you that disk.
Quote:
1. If you install an OEM version of Microsoft Windows® code onto the hard disk drive of a PC, then you must:
a. Preinstall the software using the OEM Preinstallation Kit (“OPK”) supplied as part of the Multi-Pack;
b. Affix the COA label supplied with that Microsoft Windows program as part of the Multi-Pack to the PC chassis; and
c. Supply the PC with all associated components, media and documentation forming part of the SoftwareUnit for the Microsoft Windows program, including:
  • Original Media/Disks.
  • End User License Agreement (EULA): depending on the product, the EULA may be provided in hard copy or online as a part of the initial boot up process.
  • All other documentation, including any user manuals supplied as part of the Software Unit.
Found in the OPK instructions
Once you manage to get hold of that disk then try booting from that disk; try start-up repair off the disk.

Regards,
Reventon