Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Cannot open Temporary Internet Files Folder in AppData

This is a discussion on Cannot open Temporary Internet Files Folder in AppData within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi i am running Windows 7 64-bit home edition and regularly clean out my cookies, temp folders from the tools

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 02:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi i am running Windows 7 64-bit home edition and regularly clean out my cookies, temp folders from the tools button in firefox, i recently got UniBlue and did a scan and it read over 6,000 files in this folder "C:\Users\Kyle\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\" however when i go to my windows explorer and look for this file, i am cut off at ...\Microsoft\Windows\. There are 12 folders available for me to look through yet looking at the properties tab of \Windows\ shows over 120 folders in \Windows\ and most bugs like to hide in temporary internet files. Does anyone know how to unlock that file so i can do it myself?

PS
No, clocking delete internet history,cookies, and recent files does NOT work in firefox or IE

Old 07-30-2011, 02:52 AM   #2
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Run Treesize Free -- see what it finds in the ...\low folder.

You should see \Content.IE5 folders (related to IE) + \AntiPhishing and possibly some temp files.

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

Old 07-30-2011, 02:58 AM   #3
Windows Tech Team

What do you mean by cut off? Do you mean that you cannot see the Temporary Internet Files folder within the ..\Microsoft\Windows folder?

If it is because you cannot see the folder, then the reason is because you have not set the folder options to show protected Operating System files/folders. This is a good thing and I suggest that you leave it the way it is. It is to stop people from messing with important files/folders that could have serious adverse affects on your system if handled incorrectly.

If you wish to have a good clear out of temporary files, use a program such as CCleaner.

CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Be warned, CCleaner comes with a registry cleaner, it is advised not to use it. So called "cleaning your registry" provides very little, if any, advantages and has a high risk of causing many different problems, best to avoid them.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
Registered Member

I did figure out how to access the folder by going to folder options in control panel and unchecking the hide protected system files. Now on to my next task of getting into documents and settings on windows 7!
Old 07-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

c:\Documents and Settings in Vista & Windows 7 is a Junction that redirects program installs to c:\users

There is nothing for you to get into - Docs & Settings

Svrops.com - Windows Vista Junction Points

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

Closed Thread