Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

can no longer drag and drop files anywhere on my computer

This is a discussion on can no longer drag and drop files anywhere on my computer within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I can no longer drag and drop files anywhere on my computer after updating to windows 7 service pack 1,

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

I can no longer drag and drop files anywhere on my computer after updating to windows 7 service pack 1, this has happened every time i have updated my system and had to use system restore in order to drag and drop again to my desktop or anywhere as a matter of fact. someone please help me!!! i dont want to continually use system restore to fix this problem and not update to the latest service packs.

Please help me!!!!

Old 10-20-2011, 12:20 AM   #2
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

These are suggestions from the Win 7 forums that you might try:

Right-click your Start icon and select Properties then, under the Start Menu tab, Customize; make sure that the box labeled "Enable context menus and dragging and dropping" is checked.

Make sure that your escape key is not stuck.

Make sure that you don't have any third-party programs that disable drag and drop.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
Registered Member

did the right click on the start menu, and it was checked. I do not have any third party programs that disable drag and drop. This happens every time i update to Win 7 service pack 1. then i have to restore my computer to the previous win 7 version to have the ability to drag and drop again. but i need that win 7 service pack 1 in order for my computer to function correctly. its not only files, its anything i cant drag and drop to anything, this includes files, folders, programs, songs, to anywhere. Please help!!!

Thank you for your time!!!
Old 10-20-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Go to the control panel and click Network and Internet then Internet Options. Open the Security tab and click the Custom button. Scroll down until you find "Drag and drop or copy and paste files" (it's a bit past half way) and make sure that it is enabled.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
Registered Member

It is enabled already, tried disabling it and re enable it and it did nothing, still can't drag and drop files on my desktop or anywhere. Did anyone else ever have this issue?

Thank you for helping me, hopefully will get to the bottom of this.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

The problem may be with security settings.

Go to Start and run regedit, then find this folder:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0

Look at the value for Key 1802, which deals with permissions to drag and drop -- it should be "0" -- if it is "3" drag and drop is disabled.

Internet Explorer security zones registry entries for advanced users
Old 10-20-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
Registered Member

something else that i have just realized as well, when i go to properties and look to change my desktop background all of the previews are black. also when i try to configure a folder i notice that all of them are set to read only, when i unchecked the read only and apply, i close it afterwards and it goes back to its original read only check on. Is this a permission problem maybe? is this the problem that we are facing?
Old 10-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #8
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Are you using Windows 7 Startup -- it doesn't let you change backgrounds?

Are you the system admin for your computer ont he Admin account or are you on a guest or other account?

Try creating a new user account and see if you can drag and drop on it.

Create a user account

Also, you might see if you can take ownership of a folder and then drag and drop within it:

Take Ownership of a File or Folder

How to Take Ownership and Full Control Permissions of Files & Folders in Windows
Old 10-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
Registered Member

I am in the zones and i can choose zones 1-4, each zone does not state any values. on top the choices that they are sorted by are Name, Type and Data
Old 10-20-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
Registered Member

i am using Win 7 Ultimate, i am the administrator but will try to create a new user. i can change the background.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #11
Registered Member

created a new user account and it did the exact same thing as the other account. cannot drag and drop and everytime i click on properties of the folders every folders are set as read only, once i uncheck read only and apply it it des back to read only the second i close the properties menu of the folder. I think ere dealing with administrative rights. but i am set as the administrator.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #12
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Did you check the registry key value that I mentioned in post 6? You can also check the same value for the other zones. You also might try going into Internet Options and under Security click Reset all Zones to Default level.

I'm about at the limit of my knowledge here. If it were my system I'd probably offload my important data and re-install Windows -- I've used this brute force method a couple of times to resolve a few problems I couldn't figure out otherwise. However, one of the Windows technicians may notice this thread and assist you with a more subtle resolution to your problem.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:04 PM   #13
Registered Member

Also new problem that i have just noticed, i can't see the files that i am saving on my desktop, they seem to be hidden, when i try to save another file on the desktop i can see it from the little window that asks me where to save but i cant see it on the actual desktop. what is going on with this crazy computer and stupid update
Old 10-20-2011, 05:19 PM   #14
Registered Member

Interesting i cannot reset all zones under internet options/security. it is shaded gray and cannot click on it.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #15
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

When you tried creating a new account did you create an Administrator account? If you didn't, try to create one and see if it has full access to the system.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #16
Registered Member

yes it was an administrator account.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #17
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Go to Start and type cmd then right-click the cmd filename and run it as administrator.

Type in

net user administrator /active:yes

then log off and back on -- the system admin account should be present. Log onto it and see if you can drag and drop files. If you can't I'm stumped -- you might consider re-installing Windows.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #18
Registered Member

i followed the instruction and after logging as an administrator i still cannot drag and drop.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #19
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Boot off of the W/7 DVD and choose Repair My Computer. If that fails, then do a System Restore to a time before this. If that fails choose the Command Prompt and type chkdsk /R. If that fails consider doing a Repair Install
Old 10-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #20
Registered Member

yes, system restore will work, like it has in the past but unfortunately i need to have the Win 7 service pack 1 for my computer to work normally. This has happened every time i update my computer to service pack 1 but then have to restore it because it does not allow me to drag and drop anything.