Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Can i Use My Remaining RAM for Virtual OS In Win 7 32x OS (4GB) For VirtualOS(1.04GB)

This is a discussion on Can i Use My Remaining RAM for Virtual OS In Win 7 32x OS (4GB) For VirtualOS(1.04GB) within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello Everyone, ~I Have an System With Windows 7 Ulti7mate 32 bit . ~I Have 4GB Of DDR2 Installed RAM

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 03:13 AM   #1
Registered Member

Roll Eyes

Hello Everyone,
~I Have an System With Windows 7 Ulti7mate 32 bit .
~I Have 4GB Of DDR2 Installed RAM But Since my OS is 32 bit is shows only
2.96 GB Usable RAM
~Recently I Installed WIndows Virtual PC WIth Windows XP Mode From Microsoft

I Have a doubt that If I Use 1GB RAM For Virtual OS Then Will It show any effect on my windows 7's 2.96 GB
or Will it allocate it from the remaining 1.04(4GB Subtracted 2.96GB) Please Inform Me Soon

Old 04-10-2012, 05:18 AM   #2
Registered Member

My System

From my experience, When you create a Virtual OS, the VPC program checks with the system to figure out what resources are available for sharing and use. If your system reports only 2.96 gig of RAM available, then that is what VPC looks at to allow you to assign memory to your Virtual OS. So my educated guess is that you would be restricted to only using a portion of your 2.96gig of RAM,

Rich

Old 04-10-2012, 05:54 AM   #3
Moderator - Microsoft Support Team

richnrockville is correct.

The reason why a 32 bit OS is unable to use all of your RAM is because the 4 GB address space must be shared with other things other than RAM. There is simply no way the remaining RAM can be accessed so no way it could be used by a virtual machine. It cannot be used for any purposes.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:18 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thank you guys For replying to my doubt so immediately
your Answers Are The Best The Conclusion Is that i Want Use A 64xOS In Order TO Use The Total 4GB RAM
THANKS THANKS THANKS SO MUCH
TECH SUPPORT FORM IS THE BEST I Would Recommend this website to my friends also.