Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

BSOD on startup. Rare if I can get into Windows.

This is a discussion on BSOD on startup. Rare if I can get into Windows. within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone, For about a week now, I have been having a ton of trouble getting into Windows and havn't

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi everyone,

For about a week now, I have been having a ton of trouble getting into Windows and havn't been able to find a solid solution for it without formatting it and starting all over. Over the past week, I have only been able to get Windows to boot 3 times out of the hundreds of times Ive restarted the system. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on a desktop PC I built two months ago.

What happens is that windows loads into the flag start up screen and after approx 10 seconds, it will blue screen. However, it is never the same error code twice on the BSOD. When this happens, all F8 options result in a BSOD as well so I cannot get into safe mode or access a command prompt. When I insert my repair disk, it also gives me a BSOD even though the disk runs fine in my laptop.

What I've done so far is run a variety of diagnostic programs. I've run diagnostics on the harddrives, memory, processor, video card and pretty much every other piece of hardware installed. Usually each of the tests will pass. The weird thing is that this doesn't always happen. One time I'll run the diagnostic CD and everything will pass fine but if I restart and run it again, some parts may fail. This doesn't make any sense to me. I've also gone as far as to replace my RAM sticks with brand new ones I had lying around from my build. I've also tried disconnecting my extra harddrive and disk player with no luck.

The 3 times I've been able to access Windows is after I've run a diagnostic CD and everything has passed and I restart the system. In fact, I am typing this using the damaged system (still on the 3rd successful boot). I can keep Windows working as long as I use sleep mode instead of shutting it down.

I really need some direction here. I feel like there should be a fix that doesnt result in formatting the harddrive and reinstalling the OS. Hell, since my repair disk wont work, I'm not even sure if that will fix it since I'm not convinced its a software issue. Does anyone know of a test/fix I can run while I have Windows going to find an issue? I've already run SFC /Scannow and it came back with no integrity issues. The only other thing I know to do is run chkdsk but that will require restarting the computer which means I dont know if/when I'll be able to get back in again.

Anyone have some suggestions? I can post pictures (or links to pictures) of some of the diagnostic tests if anyone wants to see them.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
Registered Member

In addition, here are the rest of my system specs:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/V...JGMqqLowb5k63I

Old 02-28-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

What is the make, model# and wattage of your PSU? Download the ISO image for Memtest in my signature and burn the image to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature. Remove all but one stick of RAM. Boot off of the newly created CD and run the tests on each stick of RAM separately for 7 passes each.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
Registered Member

My PSU is a modular Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W supply.

I have already downloaded and burned a copy of memtest to a CD but have been waiting to run it b/c I dont want to shut down the system while it's working for the time being.

When I was running my other diagnostic CDs, one of them actually had memtest on it but when I would try to run it, the system would freeze up (it would run fine in my laptop though). Anyway, I will try a CD with just memtest on it when I reboot the system next and let you know if it runs and/or the results.

I would speculate, however, that by replacing the sticks of memory with brand new ones (and I replaced them one at a time i.e. took one stick out, then the other, then added the new stick and then added the second new stick with a restart between each step. Even tried swapping the stick DIMM locations) would show that the memory is not the problem. The probability should be extremely low that two 2 month old sticks are faulty and 2 brand new sticks are faulty.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

You have to test one RAM stick at a time.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 02-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Boot into Setup (Bios) to PC Health or some such. Check the 12V+ line of the PSU.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
Registered Member

Alright so I have some news...my system appears to be fixed!!! Now, I am totally flabbergasted by how this happened but I'll tell you what's been done and maybe one of you can explain it to me.

Since I was last able to successfully get into the system, I refused to shut it down. I ran a full scan of Microsoft security essentials which only came up with one item in the backup files on my secondary storage hard drive. Perhaps this file was in the original system and Windows fixed it the last time it started? Im not sure since Windows didnt say anything about fixing/deleting a file. MSE says it was an "Exploit:JS/Blacole.AC" item and removed it. This seems to be the most logical fix for the issue but it was just some malware. A quick search doesnt make the malware sound all that bad. I also ran a full scan of Malwarebytes which came back empty. Besides that I scheduled a chkdsk and windows memory diagnostic for the next restart.

When I restarted both ran and came up no errors. Can post a picture of the chkdsk if necessary. After they ran, windows started right up and appeared to be fine as it started another 5 consecutive times. So now it is working.

On a side note and just for fun, I decided to run Memtest yesterday (yes stick by stick) but had difficulties doing it. For some reason, whenever I would run version 4.0, it would freeze after approx 10 seconds when it finished going through my 4 CPU cores. I tried to switch the CPU selection to sequential and round robin but I was either never fast enough or it didnt work b/c the system would still freeze. The only way I could run memtest was to run version 3.5 (or w/e the other version was on the CD). I noticed this version only used a single CPU core by default and would run fine. All of my sticks passed as well. The memtest website has no good FAQ section and searching google came up with nothing so does anyone else know how I can fix this problem to run version 4.0 or is this a common occurrence?

P.S. The 12V is at 11.792V, DIMM rails at 1.456V and CPU core at 1.192V. The 3.3 and 5V were fine as well.