Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Browser does not work, Internet connects fine

This is a discussion on Browser does not work, Internet connects fine within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi again, this problem does not apply for me but for a friend, he asked me to post this here

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi again, this problem does not apply for me but for a friend, he asked me to post this here since he cannot use any of his browsers.

Recently my friend found out that his browsers does not load most websites. Sites they could load are Google, searches on Google, and TD Canada Trust. Sometimes he is able to load a web page but the images and advertisements would not come up. For Youtube the video loads fine, and fast, but the icons and the images do not. Online gaming and downloads are also in order, which indicates that the connection is stable.

This problem persists for both Internet Explorer and Firefox. He has tried turning off all his firewalls and anti virus programs (windows integrated and Trend micro), resetting internet explorer, reinstalling Firefox, clearing all data, virus scans. Even System Restore to a previous date. Basically all of the basic fixes we could think of, but the problem still exists.

Searching the forums and Googling this did not yield any results, for most of them are Norton-related problems.

Any contribution is appreciated, thank you in advance.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Did you try reinstalling firefox or internet explorer? If you could load some websites but not others, it may also appear to be an antivirus block/ad blocker problem. Did he recently install any new antivirus protection?

~bingoness

Old 10-26-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoness View Post
Did you try reinstalling firefox or internet explorer? If you could load some websites but not others, it may also appear to be an antivirus block/ad blocker problem. Did he recently install any new antivirus protection?

~bingoness
He tried reinstalling both browsers. But speaking of anti-virus protection he did mention something strange about it.

He said that his Trendnet Micro cannot update, saying it cannot connect to the update server. However his laptop is definitely connected since he can download, torrent, IM, and even update Windows.

Sorry I forgot to mention that he is on wireless, and is my roommate so we share the same wireless internet. Everything is working fine for me.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:57 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

if so, i think you should try connecting his laptop to the router through a network cable and see if it updates and be able to access other website.

Try that.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:58 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yes I'll have him try that thanks, if anyone else could contribute something please feel free to do so.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:20 AM   #6
Registered Member

Ok guys now this is just weird.

This morning he checked his laptop and all his browsers could work now. But mine couldn' (excact same problem he had).

I'm starting to suspect the router as the source of this problem. As weird as it may sound it seems like the router is somehow taking turns to block some port that does not allow one of us to browse websites properly.

If anyone has a theory on why this is happening or possible solutions please feel free to contribute. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:20 PM   #7
Registered Member

Sorry for bumping this but problem still persists guys