Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bootup Problem

2K views 25 replies 5 participants last post by  Superion 
#1 ·
same problem - goes to windows repair and keeps cycling. worked on this 2 days!!! ok also followed your cmd "chkdsk /r" and says "type of the file system is NTFS. cannot lock current drive, windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected". what the heck does that mean?

I'm fed up with this now. this is a toshiba laptop, 2 yrs old, win7 os 64 bit - all problem started 2 days ago by UPDATING WINDOWS (like I'm supposed to). Now cant get into the computer.

previously its run the startup repair - here is the info from that:Boot critical file: c:\windows\system32\winload.exe is corrupt. repair action: file repair error code oxa sys restore - failed system files integrity - check and repair

HOW? am totally confused now, and probably made things worse - help please - any way to solve this? thanks

#2 ·
Re: [SOLVED] Problem With Booting

so sorry, I didnt think I was "hijacking" anything - they had the problem and I have about the same. dont know where to put the problem, who to contact or anything - dead in the water. I'm a senior citizen, and just aint as smart as you seem to be.......

#6 ·
hi, not sure what you mean. when I turn on the computer it goes right to "startup repair". when starting, I can do a function key (F8 etc), I've gotten it to Safe mode - but then it starts the "startup repair" all over again. if I let it run - it will return a message to me: boot critical file: c:\windows\system32\winload.exe is corrupt repair action: file repair error 0xa system restore - failed system files integrity check and repair

dont know what all this means except that apparently the winload.exe file is corrupt - dont know what to do from there. dont have a backup disk, no system image disk (except for my desktop (win7 too), no system repair disk, no Windows OS disk either.

so guess I'm screwed huh? is there any way to take off any of my files? if not, then guess I need to do a total system recover back to "factory settings?"

thanks

#8 · (Edited)
#9 ·
Hi, this is a known issue you appear to be able to access a command prompt you need to do this elevated so go to start search and type cmd right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" a command prompt will open at the prompt copy paste all below in red:-

bcdedit /enum > 0 & notepad 0 (press enter)

Please copy paste the notepad outcome here, is your windows install on C: drive, please confirm?

#10 ·
ok, here's what came up after entering your string.....

and yes, windows is on C drive on laptop

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=D:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {default}
resumeobject {1746b1fb-a4d4-11e1-b8a0-d8a13e9b6c70}
displayorder {default}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 3

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {default}
device partition=C:
path \windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 7
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence {current}
truncatememory 0x1ff800000
recoveryenabled Yes
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \windows
resumeobject {1746b1fb-a4d4-11e1-b8a0-d8a13e9b6c70}
nx OptIn
numproc 4
quietboot No
usefirmwarepcisettings No
bootlog No

#11 ·
Open a cmd as elevated as shown in post #9 and copy paste all below in red:-

Bcdedit /set {bootmgr} device partition=C:

press enter, Restart computer. If this gives an error message the easiest way is to download Easybcd, and use it to repair your boot.

#12 ·
must not be doing something right. downloaded the above easybcd to dvd - followed instructions - reverts back to "launch startup repair" and then goes into startup repair.

anything else to try? thanks for your help = probably will either have to do a total recovery or take it out for repair - frustrated!

#13 ·
thank all of you! after putting together (re-reading) all your suggestions - I DID get the Ubuntu Live downloaded (using ISO), backed up my files from laptop to an external drive.

Did NOT install Ubuntu Live as suggested. Now - since Ubuntu seems to have all the necessary files/programs on it (from the laptop) can I re-BOOT directly from the disk? do I use a file from Program files (x86/data or just regular program file) or use the Windows folder or Boot folder?

I'm almost afraid now to remove the Ubuntu disk since I can see my laptop's "inards"!!! Exciting!

what do I do next? I'm hesitating doing a total recovery to wipe clean - if I can reboot from this disk. any help? thanks again!

#14 ·
With the Ubuntu Live CD,when you run that and do NOT install it on the computer. A Live CD allows you to run the Ubuntu OS from the disc.
You can only backup personal files (eg) documents, pictures, music, videos, and Favorites. You cannot backup Programs, these will have to be reinstalled when you reinstall Windows.
What is the make and model# of your computer? Depending on the make and model, you probably have a Recovery partition. Now that you are safely backed up, you would boot to the Recovery Partition and restore your computer back to Factory Default setting. Then restore your backup. Keep your backup current in case of disaster in the future.

#15 ·
hey thanks! laptop Toshiba, S855-S5254, Win7 Home 64 bit

ok, dont know anything about "recovery partition" and DONT want to screw up the recovery or whatever.

what do I need to do now? thanks again, everyone!!! maybe I'm on my way to getting up and running again - I sure miss that thing.....:rolleyes:

#17 ·
Backup personal; files documents photos and whatever else is on there using the Ubuntu Live Disk then copy and paste to an external hard drive or flash drive first.

Start the laptop and start tapping "0" continuously until you see the option to use Toshiba Recovery Manager and then restore computer to like its first use.

#19 ·
ok did everything as suggested, did the total recovery; laptop is up and running, but not like it was. when I make shortcuts to the desktop from a site - then I cant get back into it - it wont open, I have to start from the browser and type it in; also, I arrange the desktop icons where I want them (have disabled the grid alignment) and after shutting down, they are all lined up on the left side again!!!

I'm running Firefox (updated) as browser - dont like Chrome; also when I open a site like FoxNews - the items are not arranged as they used to be - they overlapp each other (weather site the same way) - hard to read. and noticed other problems that werent there before it crashed.

any ideas on what went wrong with the recovery? Oh yeah, I also am totally afraid to let windows update - so far there are 149 necessary updates and 6 optionals.

any suggestions? thanks for your help.

#20 ·
oh yeah, here's what I see when I try to open a "shortcut" on the desktop:

file:///C:/Users/catsears/Desktop/Catsears.htm - this was doing this number before the crash - but dont know why - used to be I could make a shortcut and go right back and open it up - dont remember "file:/// " as being there before nor the htm either. thanks

#21 · (Edited)
Go to Start/Search and type devmgmt.msc, Right click the devmgmt results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Device Manager, are there any devices with yellow flags? If so these devices need drivers installed. The Recovery should have loaded all of your drivers, and you shouldn't need to download anything, but Go to the Toshiba drivers site anyways Satellite S855-S5254 Support | Toshiba and download the Display driver for your model. And any other drivers you require from the Device Manager.
As for the shortcuts. Browse to the path (eg) C:\Users\catsears\desktop here you can edit the shortcuts. You will need to leave the .htm extension. This signifies that it is a web page shortcut.

#22 ·
hey, thanks for the update. did as you said, apparently all drivers loaded - there are no yellows.

as for the shortcuts - did also - edited the url from the word "file" up to the C: - still doesnt work.

anything else? thanks again!!! appreciate the time and help.

also, would you advise downloading and installing all the windows updates (149+ now)? I'm really paranoid = think somehow that's what caused the laptop to crash and not boot. I've created the system image disk and repair disk, and also backed up what I have installed so far (which isnt much). and of course, my security stuff is installed and working.

#23 ·
To make a shortcut of a Web page, highlight the text in the address bar (http://blah.blah.blah.html) and drag it to your desktop.
If the computer is working well, then do a manual Restore Point for today. Then do all of your Windows Updates. this will probably solve your problems. If anything doesn't work when it's done, you can do a System Restore to the point you made earlier.

#24 ·
tried your suggestion above - the shortcut still says same as before "file:///etc"

also, did as you suggested - made a manual restore point, then installed the updates. so far the websites seem to be a bit better - but all in all it seems the laptop is not acting/showing as before the crash. something isnt right - just cant lay my finger on it.....

thanks for all your help though, its been truly appreciated - I LOVE you guys/girls - I am learning a lot, and also not having to wait around forever for an answer. thanks, bless you all! will keep trying......wish you were close by - I'd just let you repair both my computers, then they'd be right!

#25 ·
OK, go to Start/Search and type CMD, Right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type SFC /scannow and press enter. This will restore any missing system files.
Also go to the Toshiba Support Download Drivers site and type in your make and model# or use this link: Satellite S855-S5254 Support | Toshiba and download the Chipset and Display driver for your model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.