Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Boot Issue [with pics]

827 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Masterchiefxx17 
#1 ·
Backstory:

Bought a second hand PC, the main ssd with the os had went. I received this strange screen with weird symbols. Via much trial and error I managed to get passed it to install a fresh copy of Win7 onto a second ssd.

Once up and running it ran fine, played many hours of games no problems. Multiple boot cycles, etc.

The other day I unplugged everything to move it to a different table 5 feet away. Upon reconnecting everything, I am now receiving the same screen with weird symbols. [picture below]

I've attempted to to a fresh install of windows, but the win7 installer refuses to install to either of the drives it detects in setup. Error: "setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition"

Some googling later suggested it might be marvell storage controller issues, I disabled that in bios to no avail. Some suggested its a video card error, I swapped out to a different video card, also to no avail. (Exact same symbols appeared) I've tried plugging in the hdd's in different ports, one at a time, etc. Also, to no avail.

PC Specs:

Since it's second hand, (and currently can't boot), not sure whats all in there. I'll attach a pic of the inside, (note: the gtx 460 is the second video card I swapped in to see if it would change anything. The original video card was a evega gtx 580)

Hoping someone can help, thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Boot Issue [with pics]

Thanks for the suggestion. The issue seems to have resolved itself.

I booted a USB version of ubuntu, installed it to the secondary drive, and upon next boot cycle it booted into win7 just fine.

Is there any explanation for why this would have worked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.