Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Boot and sleep problems in Win 7

This is a discussion on Boot and sleep problems in Win 7 within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I suddently started having strange problems on my Win 7 RC system, about a week ago. Everything was working fine

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

I suddently started having strange problems on my Win 7 RC system, about a week ago. Everything was working fine until I started getting the following error message upon booting up:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Boot Manager:

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

On this screen I get the option to either run Windows Error Recovery or start Windows anyway. If I try error recovery it just returns me to the above error message, and if I start anyway Windows loads and I'm able to use the computer.

However, Win 7 has been acting funny since this started. Somehow my sleep setting under Power Settings is changing by itself, without my doing anything. I have it set never to go into sleep automatically, but if I leave the computer on for awhile it goes into sleep. Then when I check the setting it's set to go into sleep after 30 minutes! I change it back to "never" and it keeps going back to 30 mins on its own. Another problem is that the computer has been running more sluggishly than it used to, taking longer to open programs and hanging sometimes, freezing for a minute or two than starting up again.

Any idea what's wrong with the computer? I didn't have any USB devices connected. I scanned the hard drive with HD Tune and it showed 1 damaged block. But I don't see how that could be causing the problems with boot-up and sleep. My other guess is that maybe I have a virus, because I don't know how else to explain this strange behavior. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

System info:

Gigabyte Ep43-UD3L
Intel Dual Core E5200
Western Digital WD6400AACS (640 GB)
Sapphire Radeon 4670 GDDR 4
Win 7 RC

Old 11-14-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi this is what i found on your error code
0x000000E3: RESOURCE_NOT_OWNED
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
Various failures involving the NTFS file system cause this condition, as explained in the individual articles below. (All documented causes involve actual bugs in Windows.)
“Stop 0x000000E3 RESOURCE_NOT_OWNED” Error Message {KB 281317} Win 2000 SP1, Server (requires later SP to repair)
You Receive a “Stop 0x000000E3” Error Message in Windows 2000 {KB 307232} Win 2000 (all versions)
0x000000E4:E5:
0x000000E6: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION
0x000000E7: INVALID_FLOATING_POINT_STATE
0x000000E8: INVALID_CANCEL_OF_FILE_OPEN
0x000000E9: ACTIVE_EX_WORKER_THREAD_TERMINATION
you may need to run a repair from your install disc

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
Hi this is what i found on your error code
0x000000E3: RESOURCE_NOT_OWNED
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
Various failures involving the NTFS file system cause this condition, as explained in the individual articles below. (All documented causes involve actual bugs in Windows.)
“Stop 0x000000E3 RESOURCE_NOT_OWNED” Error Message {KB 281317} Win 2000 SP1, Server (requires later SP to repair)
You Receive a “Stop 0x000000E3” Error Message in Windows 2000 {KB 307232} Win 2000 (all versions)
0x000000E4:E5:
0x000000E6: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION
0x000000E7: INVALID_FLOATING_POINT_STATE
0x000000E8: INVALID_CANCEL_OF_FILE_OPEN
0x000000E9: ACTIVE_EX_WORKER_THREAD_TERMINATION
you may need to run a repair from your install disc
Thanks so much for the reply. I just tried running "Startup Repair" from the Win 7 install disc, and it said it couldn't find any startup problems to fix. So I decided to try running chkdsk /r, and about 30 minutes ago it got stuck at the 17% point of stage 4 (verifying file data). Do you think it could be a problem with the hard drive? It's been working perfectly for the 5 months since I bought it, though, so it seems unlikely that it would start dying on me now.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:30 AM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi your best way to test this would be the diagnostic tool which you can get from the hdd makers support website dl and burn to disc then boot of the disc and test

Old 11-15-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi your best way to test this would be the diagnostic tool which you can get from the hdd makers support website dl and burn to disc then boot of the disc and test
Hi thanks for keeping posted. I downloaded and ran Western Digital's diagnostic software. First I ran the "Quick Test" and got the following result:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Test completed with a read element failure

Error/Status code: 0007

------------------------------------------------------------------

Then I ran the "Extended Test" and got the following:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Errors found--the drive has been repaired

Error/Status code: 0223

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I was at first glad to see that the software thought it had repaired the drive. However, when I rebooted the same problems persisted. The same error message from my first post when I reboot, the same sluggishness.

By the way, I left chkdsk running overnight last night, for a total of 10 hours, and it never finished. Just stayed stuck in stage 4 at 13% this time.

So it's looking like there's something physically wrong with this hard drive, but the diagnostic software claims to have fixed it. I hope this doesn't create difficulties getting WD to RMA it...any suggestions for other things to try? I'm currently backing up about 500 GB of data onto another hard drive, so it'll be awhile before I could try anything else (about 5 hours). But any suggestions would be appreciated, your advice has been very helpful!
Old 11-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi what diagnostic tool did you run just curious also have a look at this previous thread there may be some usefull suggestions http://www.techsupportforum.com/f16/...dd-298190.html also this which would indicate a successful repair http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=40008&page=2

Old 11-17-2009, 08:43 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi what diagnostic tool did you run just curious also have a look at this previous thread there may be some usefull suggestions http://www.techsupportforum.com/f16/...dd-298190.html also this which would indicate a successful repair http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=40008&page=2
I used Western Digital's Lifeguard diagnostic software. In any case I RMA'd the drive a couple days ago. I must say WD has great customer service. The new drive shipped this morning and I didn't have to talk to anyone on the phone. Just applied online and and got the RMA no questions asked.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:25 AM   #8
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi thats good news glad you got it sorted

Closed Thread