Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black screen on starting windows 7

3K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  windows7s 
#1 ·
hi there, trying to start windows 7 but all i get is a blank black screen with the cursor that moves, nothin else. i can press the f2 f8 options at the start but i have been through every option on the f8 menu - safe mode and so on but it still ends up at the black screen no matter what. my last hope was to download a startup repair disc but even with this i still get the same screen, it loads up all it needs to then just goes to the black screen with cursor. theres no way of restore it wont let me, no way of repair, roll back, safe mode, ctrl alt dlt or esc .................im just stuck. any help is really appreciated thanks

#2 ·
Hi windows7s and Welcome to TSF,

You do need the Startup Repair CD or the Installation DVD in order to proceed with this issue. When you put the CD/DVD in and rebooted, did you ever get the "Press any key to boot cform CD/DVD..." ?

It sounds to me like you didn't get that message and that it went straight to the black screen again. In that case, you need to modify the BIOS settings to allow the CD/DVD drive to boot before the HDD.

Press DEL during startup.
Look around for BOOT Priority/Boot devices, make sure CD/DVD is set to 1st boot.
Reboot, and press a key when prompted.

#3 ·
I have the same problem, I found this fix for it by Prevx . But in my case it doesn't work, also the system restore doesn't work which has been suggested for a solution to this case, I just can't restore it back far enough. Basically I can restore it to 29.08.2011 but every time I restart my PC I get the "Black Screen of Death" again. So if anybody else knows some other solution to this then I would be very thankful to hear it.

#4 ·
hi accid thanks for the reply, i do get the screen press any button and i press space bar, random, it goes through the loading screen saying windows is loading files as the bar runs under the bottom of the screen, once this has filled up the microsoft loading bar shows then just as it should come on normally it goes to the black screen. i cant work out why, even safe mode shows the loading screens and then goes to the blank screen with cursor. ive been through many forums trying shift 5 times and random fixes but i cant access anything apart from the menu f8 - which always leads to the black screen in the end.

#5 ·
Are you on a Laptop or Desktop?
Have you tried with a different monitor?

Have a look through all RAM's, cards etc in the machine and see to it that they're properly seated. And possibly reseat them.

#6 ·
also i have left te.he blank screen over night to wake up exactly the same, i tried to start it in safe mode and left this on the blank screen but still nothing. i recently tried a normal startup left this on the loading screen and this turned itself off after around 10 minutes - i have tried this 3 times and everytime this has switched itself off. this is the only progress i have made

#8 ·
hi there, just a quick update
I have reseated the hard drive - nothing different, i played around for hours last night and eventually figured out a way to run memory diagnostics during startup but this runs for a few minutes then the computer turns itself off. i think i really have tried every option i can find now an this black screen doesnt wana go.
kind regards
michael

#9 ·
Reseating the harddrive won't do. You could try to reseat the RAM however, and maybe boot up with one RAM at a time to see if they're failing. Memtest shouldn't just shut down your PC, might indicate that something is infact wrong with them..

Did you ever get around to try another display aswell?

#11 ·
Actually the boot record has nothing to do with this issue, as the boot record is never called for in this particular problem. We'll have to wait until he has tried the above things to move on.

The command you're suggesting would fix issues where Windows is unable to find the operating system after posting. But as this user cannot boot an installation DVD, the issue is not software related.

#12 ·
hi there, i tried reseating the ram yesterday.. still nothing and i have just tried them one at a time with no different. kind of had abit of hope for this to. im going trying it on my pc screen i left at home now and i will keep you in touch of how it goes.
michael

#14 ·
So far you've only mentioned a System Repair disc. Do you have access to the original installation DVD? If so, try the system repair from there. Or try installing Windows to another partition.

(even if you were to install Windows on the same partition, it will save your old file to C:\Windows.old\. Just make sure you choose "Custom install" during the installation process)

#15 ·
the windows code underneath the laptop has worn away already and im scared of reinstalling. i have just pressed f10 while loading and i get this -

Edit windows boot options for: windows 7
Path: \windows\system32\winload.exe

Partition: 2
Hard Disk: 952fdac7

[ /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN ]

Plus the laptop is my mother inlaws and she says she has no recovery discs even though i made them for her when she bought the laptop....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.