Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Screen, Blinking Cursor, Fan Not Starting!

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  TheGift73 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I have just finished scouring the internet from one side to the other and I am STILL completely stumped!

I have a Toshiba Satelllite A305-S6825. It is about 5-6 years old and it continues to run fine...until today. Some random Java update popped up, my computer slowed down, then it froze, I held down my power button to turn off the computer, pressed it again and...NOOOOOO!

My computer booted to the Toshiba screen, then turned black, a blinking cursor appeared in the top left corner and the fan stopped. Everytime I would try the same thing would happen. If I touched any keys after the cursor appears and unpleasant high pitched sound comes from the speakers.

The only options I have are hitting F2 or F12 and neither of them seem to have a solution.

I tried removing my HD and something different happened! It said to enter a disc (boot disc maybe?) the problem is that I don't have my boot discs anymore.

Does anyone have experience or the technical knowhow to solve this? I have found many topics on this but none of the solutions seem to work (removing the HD, taking out the battery and rebooting, taking out the battery and unplugging and 'holding down the power button,') [I did the last one to humor the poster]

I don't want to lose my HD, I have a great many things on it and my laptop was performing brilliantly until java...

Any thoughts? Ideas? Help?

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Download Hiren's Boot Disk and under MBR Tools try running the program MbrFix 1.3. You can download it here as a .zip file. Burn it to disk (CD) and then boot to it by changing your Boot order to CD as first device. (you can also place it on a USB if you don't have a CD and boot to that instead)

There is a ton of free and extremely useful programs on that disk, including any data recovery programs you may need. If you find that you are still unable to access you files on your HDD, then we can walk you through connecting it to another computer and accessing them that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.