Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black box pops up and goes off after Desktop login or browser opens!

11K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  mercevo2 
#1 ·
I've got a Problem with a black window box popping up or flashing on and off quickly when login into my Desktop Screen or going to my browsers. It looks like a CMD box but its black (nothing listed in Command area), this is a very annoying problem for me because I prefer not to have any problems with my computers and this is on both my Desktop and Laptop. I've searched online to resolve this issue, Clean Boot Selective Startup resolves this problem but causes issues with my other services and startup items not working. I'm now at my whits end not knowing how to fix this very aggravating Issue Someone Please Help!

#3 ·
Do the Clean Boot, but Hide all Microsoft Services, so they will still run. Or re-enable all MS services. Then add one Startup item at a time and restart until you see the script run at bootup, then you will know what the program is.

#5 ·
In msconfig, If you Hide all Microsoft Services, Then Disable All, it will leave the MS services running. Then after doing a Clean Boot, enable each Service and Startup item that was disabled separately, and reboot after each until you find the problematic program

#6 ·
Well I found out that this particular problem is being cause by Norton Internet Security which really bothers me because I've had Norton for years. I performed a Factory Restore on my Laptop yesterday and all was good until I installed Norton again so its defiantly the Norton. It's not installed right now because it started blocking my AOL Browser last night fixing to contact Norton about both Issues!

Thanks Guys

#7 · (Edited)
#9 ·
:banghead:I'm afraid I spoke way too soon I've still got this problem and I'm pulling my hair out trying to find the root of it's cause. I have Microsoft Security Essentials installed instead of Norton and I'm still getting the box flash up during browsing I've never had such a hard to resolve Issue with my computers until this came up, the other issue I had with my Address Bar cleared up on its own but this one seems somewhat relentless to disappear.

#12 ·
Hi, lets have a look at your scheduled tasks. Go to start, search and type:- cmd right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the command prompt copy paste this:-

dir /a C:\Windows\System32\Tasks > 0 & notepad 0 (press enter), please post the notepad contents in your next post.

#13 ·
Volume in drive C is Gateway
Volume Serial Number is E88C-E8E6

Directory of C:\Windows\System32\Tasks

06/24/2016 02:20 AM <DIR> .
06/24/2016 02:20 AM <DIR> ..
06/24/2016 02:20 AM 3,898 Adobe Flash Player PPAPI Notifier
06/24/2016 02:32 AM 3,768 Adobe Flash Player Updater
06/25/2016 05:48 PM <DIR> Microsoft
02/07/2012 10:45 AM <DIR> Recovery Management
06/25/2016 02:51 PM <DIR> WPD
06/23/2016 08:16 PM 3,280 {4065CCB6-DE5C-4B07-8FFA-21E87E03314B}
3 File(s) 10,946 bytes
5 Dir(s) 432,205,111,296 bytes free

#14 ·
I am having the same problem with the cmd.exe black box flashing in my aol browser. What did you determine was the cause? I've spent several hours speaking with Geek Squad and AOL tech support reps, as well as being remotely accessed multiple times with no resolution to the problem or even an understanding of why this suddenly started happening. Can you shed any light on this?:banghead:

#15 ·
I've found out that this issue defiantly has to do with the AOL Desktop Browser Plugin, I don't experience this problem at all until the plugin is installed. Now that I've found the culprit I'm stuck at how to fix the problem. The plugin installs Adobe Flash Player I guess to view certain Sites and Content within my AOL Software Browser. I already have Adobe Flash Player Installed separately on my Computers which installs automatically threw Windows. So now I'm really stuck on where to go from here!

#17 · (Edited)
Hi there,
Well, although AOL is considered by some to be antiquated ... for others of us ... we actually enjoy all that AOL has to offer, which extends well beyond the email service.

With that said, after working directly with an AOL Senior Tech ... I learned that the black box (CMD.exe) flashing was definitely an AOL issue, not as a result of the plug in, but instead because the latest versions of AOL software 9.8.2 and 9.8.1 have some bugs that haven't been worked out yet.

This is an issue with many types of new software releases.

9.8.2 has an incompatibility issue with Windows 7 & 10 and 9.8.1 has an incompatibility issue with Adobe Flash Player. The solution is to uninstall all AOL from your computer after properly saving your AOL email, filing cabinet, favorites, and tool bar settings onto your desktop (i.e. organize, idb, etc.).

Then, install AOL 9.8.0 which does not have any of these issues and works fabulously. After installing the 9.8.0, reset your email, filing cabinet, favorites, and tool bar settings (i.e. organize, idb, etc.) with the files you saved on your desktop and you will be back in business.
NOTE: If you are unsure about how to save those files and reset them into your new AOL 9.8.0 software ... contact a tech support rep(800-827-6364), who will walk you through the process. This way, you won't lose any of your important saved emails, favorites, or other AOL settings that you prefer.

Just like Occam's Razor ... all things being equal, the simplest solution tends to be the correct one. In this case, the simplest solution is simply rolling back to the earlier version of AOL 9.8.0 and AOL users do not need to stop using AOL and won't have to change what they are accustomed to using and enjoying on their computers ... easy fix. :dance:

#19 ·
Thanks so much I knew this was an issue of sort with flash player I've got AOL 9.8.2 installed. I just purchased a new HP Envy 15T Touchscreen Windows Laptop and I'm finally getting the hang of using Windows 10. I don't like anything to not work right on either of my PC's. AOL needs to get rid of their Chrome Browser also, many websites I visit tell me to update my browser I've already got IE 11 on my systems (don't like Edge Browser) AOL needs to fix all their software issues because its pretty annoying. I've got a AOL Disk but I believe its a 9.6 or 9.7 version. I'm afraid it may automatically update to the latest version if I us it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.