Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Batch files in windows 7?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  KNRover 
#1 · (Edited)
I am sure that there are backup programs that will do what I want, but I am looking for something that is REALLY simple. Back in the days of DOS x.x and early windows, I had a simple batch file that would copy (backup all files from a folder on C: to a folder on D: Is it possible to do the same with Win 7? I should say, is it advisable because I have found tutorials to show me how to do this. Is this likely going to run into problems with any of the security features commonly found in a lan? Antivirus programs? Anything beyond my meager level of understanding of lans and wans? During the day, I save everything to my virtual drive on the server. I would periodically (at my whim) like to copy all of them to D: in my workstation as well as a flash drive that I have installed in my workstation. 3 commands would be adequate :smile:

#2 ·
Even though backup software has gotten pretty good in making sure your files are transferred, I personally like to do manual backups. Knowing what files are being backed up.

Batch coding still works in Windows 7 via the Command Prompt. You can still use all of your batch knowledge and programming to run in Windows 7.

#5 ·
Windows 7's Library files make creating backups exceptionally easy. I run a small business from my desktop, and configured Win 7 to put all the business files into a folder called. . . would you believe. . . "Business Files". All I have to do to back up all the business files (which are in 55 separate folders) is drag-n-drop the Business Files Library folder to my SanDisk USB 3.0 jump drive. It moves over 5670 files from the HDD to the jump drive in about 80 sec. Simple, and no backup program needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.