Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backup Advice

770 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  altjx 
#1 ·
Good evening all,

I just recently experienced a terrible issue where I formatted, and backed up everything except for my pictures. I even overwrote them on my iPhone once iTunes connected to it, so this completely got rid of all of the pictures.

Thankfully, I've stopped using Live Mesh approximately 2 months ago and it had 96% of all of the pictures that I forgot to backup ^_^.

The only reason I haven't really been doing backups, although I always advise customers and friends to perform backups periodically, is because of the inconvenience. I do not necessarily like to keep my machine on when I'm not going to be on it, and I'm not too sure of Windows Backup's available options to perform backups conveniently without bogging down resources every x amount of days/hours/time/whatever.

So personally, I like the way dropbox/live mesh works because they sync things as there's a change to the folder that's being synced. However, I am curious to know if any of you have found something similar to this, but works via external hard drive and not over the network. I would like to, for example, sync my pictures, downloads, documents, videos, music, etc, as soon as there's a change to one of the files within the folders.

The instant change would be very convenient for me as I do not have to sit for x amount of hours on certain days waiting for a backup to complete.

Any advice?

See less See more
#2 ·
The best way to backup important files is to a external HDD also having backups for your backups. Keeping them off sight, manually. If you are not willing to take the time then do not bother backing up your data. IT people spend hours backing up data everyday in severs.

#3 ·
JackBauer_24 said:
The best way to backup important files is to a external HDD also having backups for your backups. Keeping them off sight, manually. If you are not willing to take the time then do not bother backing up your data. IT people spend hours backing up data everyday in severs.
Yes, what you mentioned is partially what I stated I was already doing, lol.

My question is specifically if anyone knows a "real-time" backup solution. Like Dropbox and Live Mesh "real-time" syncing whenever there's a file change... is there a backup solution to do this as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.