Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

AT&T Communication Manager and IPv6

This is a discussion on AT&T Communication Manager and IPv6 within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello all, I seem to be having an issue with windows 7, ACM, and some network settings. I use an

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello all,
I seem to be having an issue with windows 7, ACM, and some network settings. I use an ATT Lightning (Sierra Wireless USB 305) with ATT Communications Manager (ACM) to log onto the net. I did a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit so I am getting used to all its features. I first noticed an issue when I loaded the latest version of ACM after installing windows 7. When I logged in, Windows did not ask me what kind of network this was (Home, Public, etc) as it did in the past and labeled itself as "unidentified public network" without asking my opinion on the matter. When I tried going through the "home group" setup to fix it, it would not allow me to do so as IPv6 was not installed for that particular connection. I opened up the properties for that connection and tried to install that protocol but it would not even show up in the choices (it actually didn't give me any choices to load). so, my question. How can I make my network a home network and how can i get IPv6 to load on that particular network setup. IPv6 shows up in the other 2 network setups, local area network and wireless network connection along with several other bells and whistles (link-layer topology, etc..)

Thanks and have a great day.....

Old 05-24-2010, 12:37 AM   #2
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi, if you have use of IPV6 then you are among the 2% of users worldwide and indeed well ahead of the rest of us. Use IPV4.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:57 AM   #3

My System

I think the OP is saying that their Homegroup sharing no longer works, which relies on IPv6.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
Registered Member

I suppose I can accept that. I was more interested in the ability to define my ATT laptopconnect connection as a home network and not just a default public network. I do not know whether or not it really makes a difference in the big scheme of things but I do value the opinion of those that are real super-users and how they would do it (if they of course lower themselves to using windows and not the latest Linux version) :)
That being said, is there anything I should try and add to the connection profile? the only things listed for that particular connection (Sierra Wireless HSPA Network Adapter) is Client for MS Networks, File and Printer Sharing, and IPv4.

Thanks for your help and have a great evening.....
Old 12-04-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
Registered Member

Yeah, this problem also renders some VPN software completely unusable (Sonicwall) because Win 7 doesn't want to let my VPN connect through it as it's a "public" network....grrrr.

So while beating my head against a brick wall with AT&T for nearly 45 minutes and not getting any kind of progress (and getting dead ended) I kept looking and finally thought I would give sierra's website a try. I updated my firmware (I have USBConnect Lightning) to the latest version and downloaded Sierra's "Watcher" software.

http://www.sierrawireless.com/Support/Downloads.aspx

Worked great!!!!
Jerry