Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

all drivers gone after a reboot

This is a discussion on all drivers gone after a reboot within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hey guys! i'm back again~~ after ... 3 years is it? and now i humbly present you my latest frustration...

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to edwinchang

hey guys! i'm back again~~ after ... 3 years is it? and now i humbly present you my latest frustration... :(

system info:
asus v2s series laptop with 3gb ram (up'ed from factory default of 2gb)
sp: unknown, think it's sp1, i always install updates when it prompts me
video card: geforce 8600M gs 256mb
antivirus: avast

problem:
after what seems to be a normal reboot, windows enters desktop with default generic display and default resolution.
wireless adapter driver is gone, unable to enter video setup (video driver is prolly gone). ethernet connection unknown, but prolly gone as well.
Able to open folders and "my computer". There is sound.
Unable to open "control panel" folder from start button. (the control panel window either doesn't show at all after a busy mouse cursor, or a blank folder with no options inside.)
keeps asking to install "sierra wireless HSDPA network adapter #2" driver after boot-up. clicking yes will result in "newdev.exe can't find path or have no permission to access".
there is only 1 account on this computer and it IS the administrator.

actions prior to this particular "reboot":
was at school studying, opened game "left 4 dead" by valve to watch the cinematics, turned laptop off some time afterwards because battery was at 15%. Turned it back on after 20 min and plugged in the charger. windows enters desktop to the prior described problem.

troubleshooting done:
went to safe mode. did a system recovery, chose 3 days and 5 days restore points separately. both tries returned me to normal boot with problem unresolved. Enters safe mode again, a message displays "system restore was unsucessful".
Safe mode with network support has no wireless connection to school network.

on a side note, however this issue is prolly not related to the problem at hand:
I sometimes get a driver installation dialog window when I use this laptop. Something about installing a driver will be able to share a file on windows media center. I always clicked NO. However the install window sometimes comes up and sometimes doesn't.

any help or ideas?

Old 12-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to edwinchang

additional troubleshooting done:

tried to do system recovery under safe mode with anti virus disabled, as some posts on the internet suggest. Does not work as well. Result is same as if with anti virus on.