Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Adobe Acrobat X Pro refuses to open

This is a discussion on Adobe Acrobat X Pro refuses to open within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Earlier, I tried to open one of my PDFs with Acrobat 10... nothing. Thinking I hadn't actually clicked the PDF

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 11:30 PM   #1
Registered Member

Earlier, I tried to open one of my PDFs with Acrobat 10... nothing. Thinking I hadn't actually clicked the PDF correctly, I tried again. Then a few more times (the software variant of "percussive maintenance"). Finally I tried simply opening Acrobat itself, thinking there was something wrong with the file associations. Nothing. I open up task manager to find that when I try to launch Acrobat, acrobat.exe pops up for a brief moment, and then disappears. There are no error dialogs or anything, the application simply closes immediately.

So, I try opening the PDF in Firefox using file://drive:/path/. Nothing, again. No problem opening the containing folder (on an external hard drive), but clicking the link to the file results in nothing happening. Open with Adobe Reader X? It works perfectly, of course!

This is a recent install of Acrobat X Professional (exactly 1 week, today) on Windows 7 Home Premium. This is a fresh install, not an upgrade. The PDF is over 2 years old (not that other PDFs work, mind you). Acrobat worked when I tested it after installing, so something has changed, I just don't know what.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Old 03-16-2011, 07:18 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Uninstall and restart your computer and reinstall
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New browser tabs opening and directing to attack sites.
Hi there, I'm not sure how I did this, but I've infected my computer with trojans / malware. I ran updated and ran both AVG and then Malwarebytes and they each found and succesfully cleaned some trojan infections. But they didn't fix everything. When I google something and click on a link, I...
malleusmalefic Inactive Malware Help Topics 10 03-19-2011 04:38 AM
[SOLVED] VCExpress Problem, Probably AppData\Permissions Problem?
I think it should be related to this forum because I think the problem is something with AppData \ Permissions which is related to Windows 7. I'm having a problem while running\installing Visual C++. The problem started 2 days ago, it did work before. When I'm trying to run I'm getting this...
benben12 Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support 8 02-09-2011 12:45 PM
Netgear FVX538 Firewall
Hi All, I am a newly joined to these forum, hopefully this is the correct section to post my inquiry. could anyone help me secure my network. we are running windows server 2003. the services installed are exchange 2003, AD, DNS, and our antivirus is Escan. When i am blocking some ports...
pdelcast Networking Support 3 02-07-2011 04:34 PM
Viruses, Lagging, Crashing, explorer, svchost, system32 and more..
I'm at wits end with my computer and think I'll have to get it sent to a professional but alas, I'm in Oz, I don't know who to go to or what prices they charge or how long they hold it for. I start uni again in a month and I want a working computer - so this is my last resort! Will try to explain...
sillychook Resolved HJT Threads 20 02-06-2011 03:12 AM