Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Acer laptop Restart Repair Mode

This is a discussion on Acer laptop Restart Repair Mode within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My Acer Laptop(Win 7) bluescreened last night and then went into StartUp Repair Mode and gave me two options which

Old 05-09-2013, 05:52 AM   #1
Registered Member

My Acer Laptop(Win 7) bluescreened last night and then went into StartUp Repair Mode and gave me two options which i have tried several times, one is allow Windows to make Start-up Repair and correct errors or start Windows Normally I then get a System Recovery Options and prompts me to use restsrt in different modes ,it shows Win loading files then everything looks like it is going to start normally but it just hangs on " This whole sequence of System Recovery Option continues again in a cycle.
I also tried a System Restore,it gets to Starting Windows and again just hangs there not moving .
What can i do?

Old 05-09-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 7 Pro, ME, Vista. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000 & 98SE

Did you actually try one of the recovery options?

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yes and it keeps going to StartUp Repair Mode,it then shows Win7 loading files and then it reboots up to the main screen,:Starting Windows" with the MS logo and nothing ever happens beyond that.I also tried System Restore and that too ends me up at the screen showing that Windows is starting,so i don't know what is going on. I tried reboorting from CD but not sure how this works with my recovery disks.Maybe you can guide me on this?

The StartUp Repair checks my laptop for repairs,the diagnosis and repair log shows>> System Disk=\Device\Harddisk0
Windows directory=C:\Windows
AutoCHk Run=0
Number of Root cause=1

Test performed
Name;Check for Updates
Result:Com[pleted successfully,Error Code=OxO

Root cause found:
System volume on disk is corrupt(chkdsk)
Result;Completed successfully.Error Code= OxO

The it prompts me(all in StartUP Repair window) to restart and says that if repairs were successful,Windows will start correctly
If repairs were not successful,StartUp Repair might run again to continue fixing your computer,then it says finish and he whole process starts again in a vcious circle,always leading back to the "Windows is Starting" but it never does
Old 05-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

Give the option "System Image Recovery" a shot.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
Registered Member

tried that same thing

I've disconnected and removed battery thinking this may help but nothing.It continually looping into what i wrote above. Start Win Normally or repair startup problems,it shows windows loading files and then it proceeds to Starting Windows and remains there. Also now i just get the nice screen with no Windows is Starting,that seems to have disappeared.
I aslo tried reboorting in Safe mode and i saw all files it was laioding and then that process stopped and i had to manually turn it off.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi do you have a install or recovery disc you can try this Windows 7 & Vista - Running Checkdisk from a Boot CD/DVD or Windows Desktop
Root cause found:
it say's completed but I doubt it is fixing anything so try the cmd prompt and chkdsk /f or /r

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
Registered Member

unfortnuately i do not have recovery disk or copy of Win 7,I bought laptop with Win 7 installed and was suppose to make backup copies on Win 7.I did backup my files on external HD but not the Win7,i know that was stupid and now i regret it.I can get a copy of Win 7 and try your remedy unless there is another way to skin this cat
Old 05-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

Since it looks like you can get into Command Prompt, follow Joeten's advice and run chkdsk /f. Repair disc can be downloaded from another computer.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
Registered Member

I have given my Acer laptop to friend who repairs and services Pc's for large university,.He will attempt to solve issue,could be HD issue or software.
He will convert the 32-bit into 64-bit as this was my plan anyway and will partition HD.I am chess master and i run chess engines for long periods of time on laptop.Problem is overheating etc... His suggestion and maybe someone can answer as well here whether i would be better off with PC as they are more durable for crunching long chess variations over many hours without worryng about heat issues? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I will keep this Forum advised as to what the problem was and if it was solved.This should be by tomorrow night.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi a desktop would be a better prospect in your scenario,your only options with a laptop would be a cooling pad and that is not ideal for what your describing

Old 05-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #11
Registered Member

my tech ran Chkdsk found bad clusters on the disk and marked them so they shouldn't be used anymore. The laptop still isnt able to boot into windows so I'm going to try the upgrade now(from 32-bit-64-bit). I was able to backup the contents ofof my Drive just in case anything goes wrong

The tech took the HDD out and ran it from his computer. He has a SATA to USB HDD dock to use for this type of stuff

So far this isn't going well. It hangs right after you boot then select upgrade

He cleaned the laptop when he took the hdd out. He thinks its the HDD but not sure, could be wrong. He's trying a few things to see if I can get around it.
The fact that it hangs and fdoesn't boot up,what could that be ??

P.S by the way he installed recovery disc you can try this Windows 7 & Vista - Running Checkdisk from a Boot CD/DVD or Windows Desktop
Root cause found:
it say's completed but I doubt it is fixing anything so try the cmd prompt and chkdsk /f or /r but still didn't boot up

If my tech (after trying the 64-bit) upgrade cannot get it to boot into Windows,whar are my alternatives?Do i take it into a dealer that knows about these issues? What are reasons it wouldn't boot into Windows,what are possible causes?
Old 05-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #12
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Bad clusters would prompt me to replace the hard drive

Old 05-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #13
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
Bad clusters would prompt me to replace the hard drive
X2

Old 05-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #14
Registered Member

Could this be a possible cause in my case>>>

Resolve: Windows 7 hangs at Welcome screen with the blue swirl continuing indefinitely | Windows Info Portal
Old 05-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #15
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

No your issue is most likely a dying hard drive and no amount of tinkering or reinstalling will fix it

Old 05-16-2013, 03:27 AM   #16
Registered Member

I purchaed new Sata HDD and reinstalled Win 7 Prof and works well now,so it was the dying HDD that caused all my problems.Thanks for all your hepl issue seems resolved:)
Old 05-16-2013, 03:31 AM   #17
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Glad to hear it you can mark this solved using the thread tools near the top of the page thanks.