Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

(Acer Aspire laptop) Factory Restore failing - hard drive damaged?

This is a discussion on (Acer Aspire laptop) Factory Restore failing - hard drive damaged? within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, Not sure if this is the correct sub-section of the forum but couldn't see a more appropriate place. Any

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
Registered Member

OS: Vista previously, Windows 7 hopefully, none currently! Can boot Ubuntu or Knoppix from CD-rom.

Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct sub-section of the forum but couldn't see a more appropriate place.

Any advice appreciated: I'm trying to do a factory restore on my Acer Aspire laptop, as it started crashing, stalling etc. and then eventually just failing to boot up. I've gotten a fair bit of my important stuff off it using a Linux (Knoppix) disc, so am ready to do a factory restore.

However, when I try to do so, I get the error message: "WIMApplyImage Fail. Error: 045D" then I click on "OK" and it says "FAIL to restore image"

Any ideas? I'm worried that my hard drive may be physically damaged. When I listen it's making the odd whirring/clicking noise, but doesn't sound particularly out of the ordinary to me.

Or, on the other hand, does anybody know of any alternative options to the in built Acer factory restore?

Thanks,

Chris

Old 06-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

OS: W7 Pro, W7 Ultimate, Vista Ultimate, Windows XP Pro, Linux (Ubuntu)

My System

Send a message via Yahoo to Michael_Larsen

Hi Chris. Welcome to TSF.

Have you tried opening up a terminal window and running chkdsk /r on your system? You might also run "sfc /scannow" from within the terminal window as well just to see if perhaps your problems are system-file related.

The clicking noise you're hearing is a bit troubling as it is often an indicator of an impending hard drive failure. I'm glad that you backed up your stuff though. Often that is one thing many people do NOT do and then they are left scrambling for ways to recover their data.

Good day!

Mike

Old 06-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi I would suggest you get a new harddrive and recovery discs from acer if you do not have them https://secure.tx.acer.com/RCDB/Main.aspx?brand=acer and use that to install to your new hdd

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:40 AM   #4
Registered Member

OS: Vista previously, Windows 7 hopefully, none currently! Can boot Ubuntu or Knoppix from CD-rom.

Many thanks for the replies. I'd be keen to leave getting a new hard drive as a last resort, as I imagine they're harder to put in a laptop than a desktop and I'm not particularly confident opening the thing up.

Mike, forgive my lack of experience- I boot the computer in Knoppix, open the terminal window (I think it calls it the 'command window'), type in "chkdsk /r" and hit enter? And likewise for "sfc /scannow"? I'll try it later.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 06-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi you might want to run some diagnostics on the hdd seatools for dos will usually work SeaTools | Seagate there is a tutorial there also

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

OS: W7 Pro, W7 Ultimate, Vista Ultimate, Windows XP Pro, Linux (Ubuntu)

My System

Send a message via Yahoo to Michael_Larsen

Hi Chris. Those commands would have to be done from within a Windows command prompt window, not Knoppix. Can you boot the system into Windows at all? If not, my suggestions won't you do you any good.

Mike