Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Access files on hard drive with broken OS?

This is a discussion on Access files on hard drive with broken OS? within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So I upgraded my computer with a new motherboard and CPU, which caused Windows 7 to bluescreen on startup every

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
Registered Member

So I upgraded my computer with a new motherboard and CPU, which caused Windows 7 to bluescreen on startup every launch. I ended up deleting the partition with the system files (by booting from the Windows 7 disk) but when I went to reinstall Windows 7 I realized I only had 10GB of space left on my hard drive, whereas I needed 25GB.

What's the simplest way to access my HDD and delete some files I don't need?

Old 03-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

If you can get to the CMD(dos) window, that may be an option.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
Registered Member

How would I go about getting there? Windows is basically nonexistant on my computer right now, so I technically have no OS.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

you could use Ubuntu - this would eliminate the need to physically remove the Hard Drive.

You can get it from here: Download | Ubuntu

Step #2 on that page shows you how to create the USB/CD.

Once you boot into Ubuntu, (choose the option where it runs off the USB/CD) you can use it to copy your files from the Windows Partition to an external hard drive (Note: Do not copy anything to the Ubuntu Filesystem as it will not be saved on shut-down)
Old 03-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
Certifiable Lazy Bum

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

first of all, if win7 is oem and originally came with your computer, legally you need to purchase another copy before installing.

There are a couple of ways you can access your files,
1. you can add the drive to another computer and copy the files over
2. boot to a linux live disk and copy the files to a usb drive.

Download | Ubuntu
Old 03-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobeit View Post
first of all, if win7 is oem and originally came with your computer, legally you need to purchase another copy before installing.

There are a couple of ways you can access your files,
1. you can add the drive to another computer and copy the files over
2. boot to a linux live disk and copy the files to a usb drive.

Download | Ubuntu
Thanks for the replies.

No, this is a standalone Windows 7 Professional disk I bought (has both 32 and 64 bit versions, though I'm installing 64).

I tried using some other bootable OS's (DOS on USB, Slax, Damn Small Linux) but I couldn't figure out how to access my hard drive with them (and the mouse didn't actually work). Not too familiar with the linux terminal.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

Ubuntu live CD is a Gui desktop Click on try Ubuntu go to "Places" and select the Windows partition.

The reason Windows did not boot after you installed a new main board is because Windows did not reconize that new board that Windows has chipset drivers for the older board installed.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Closed Thread