Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

xfx 850w P1-850B-BEFX shuts down!

1K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  Masterchiefxx17 
#1 ·
i bought the xfx from an ebay seller for cheap, he told me that the psu is in good working order, so i installed it into my case and i also bought the gtx 970 g1 gaming gpu and tried to do some benchmarks with my card, but within a minute of running the benchmark the pc shuts down.I gave it acouple more tries and still the same result. So i switched out the psu with my thermaltake 750w and works perfectly, now im wondering if i could rma my xfx to the manufacture and see if they would fix the problem or is there anything i could do to resolve the issue, mb return the psu back to the seller?

#3 ·
This is why I don't buy off eBay. You got taken. As Masterchief noted, you need to contact the seller immediately. And if me, I would just demand my money back. As the second owner, I don't think you can RMA it to XFX - but you can try.

#4 ·
pc crashes while playing game

My PC keeps crashing when i play h1z1 within 25-40minutes of playing time.It only happens in the game not in windows. I bought a gtx 970 g1 gaming because i thought my other AMD card was the cause of this problem but it looks like its not and i also bought a psu in case that was the problem but still the same problem.

RIG-
990fxa-ud3rev1

fx-6350 (212 evo) was oc to 4.6gbz but i will change it to default and see it that is the problem and will let you know soon.
2x4 corsair vengeance 1600mhz ddr3

GTX 970 G1 gaming- overclocked to 100mhz on the core and 600mhz on the memory with max 87volts and power limit to 112.

psu thermaltake 750w - i thought that this could be the problem as-well so i bought the xfx 850w psu and still does the same thing (this psu shutdowns in the 3dmark software for bench testing)

- is there anyway i could go into memory dump and file whats causing this to happen? i reset all my overclock settings to default at the moment and ill find out soon enough if my oc is the issue.

#5 ·
ya its looks like it was my overclock that made my PC reboot...now im pretty sure it was my CPU that i oc'd to 4.6ghz on 1.42volts, but i still don't understand because i was getting around 64c on that oc for the CPU temp.I have the evo 212 installed facing my GPU, maybe that's what cause my pc to reboot. The fan is taking all the hot air coming from my GPU and running it thru my CPU heat-sink. What do you guys think? I've put everything to default and now im able to run the game without the reboot.

#6 ·
This is why I don't buy off eBay. You got taken.
Quite a statement... The eBay seller didn't make the PSU then try to sell it. XFX made the unit and it died, just so happened to fall into the hands of an eBay seller.

eBay is a perfectly fine place to buy and nearly all sellers are very reasonable. Previous thoughts shouldn't carry over to what today is.

If you're on an OC, then you could be applying the incorrect voltage to the CPU. See if a default setting causes any issues.

#9 ·
Are you still using the XFX PSU? It sounds to me that maybe it was the overclock all along.

A seller that sold a dead unit but said it was working. I know loads of people who have got burned buying through ebay.
So does Newegg, and Amazon. They don't go testing each unit before they sell it, now do they? The eBay seller most likely had this unit unopened and sold it. There are thousands of people who buy on eBay each day, but most of us only hear the bad stories.

You blame the entire eBay service because of only a few bad sellers in the past. If one understands to look for the good feedback and respected sellers, eBay is quite a pleasant place to buy from.

Regardless, this isn't an eBay discussion thread.

#11 ·
Thats what im thinking too, it might have been the oc and was messing up and not the psu.Ill try it again on default settings and run a few benchmarks and games on stock and ill get back to you.

- Ebay is a great place to buy, this is the first time i received an item that malfunctions, but it might have been the oc that was the cause of this problem.

#12 ·
Masterchiefxx17 said:
Quite a statement... The eBay seller didn't make the PSU then try to sell it. XFX made the unit and it died, just so happened to fall into the hands of an eBay seller.
And then that eBay seller sold it to vtech. And at this point, we don't know how many hands it went through before vtech's.

I note vtech said, "i bought the xfx from an ebay seller for cheap, he told me that the psu is in good working order". "For cheap" is an indicator it is not new, and as noted, if new and still sealed in the original package, the seller would not know if in good working order or not. Typically, they say, "new" when new.

If you buy from an eBay "retailer", then the odds are you will not be taken. But if you buy from an individual, especially used and "for cheap", you take your chances. eBay would not have a bad reputation if there were not some truth to it. Hopefully, this seller is honest.

Caveat emptor.

#14 ·
I think this psu is not giving enough voltage to the CPU/GPU for overclocking. I set my CPU and GPU to default settings and ran heaven benchmark,3dmark, cine-bench and no crashes yet. But when i overclocked just my GPU +100mhz on core and +600mhz on memory and ran heaven benchmark, the PC shuts-down within 1minute of running the program.

is there anyway i can get my pc to show me the error when it shuts-down?

I will try and run some games on default cpu/gpu and see if it will shutdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.