Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wondering if maxing out my ram will make much more of difference on new laptop?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Jason9922 
#1 ·
I just got an HP Probook 4420s. It is a pretty fast laptop already and came with 2gb of ram. It can be maxed out with 2 4GB sticks = 8GB of ram total. I am just wondering if buying the dual set instead of just the one 4GB ram upgrade will really make much of a difference in speed/quality. Thanks for input!:whistling:

#4 ·
@Makinu1der2 - I am running Windows 7 pro. Although I like Windows 7, I like Windows XP the best out of all the OS windows offers. Another reason I bought this laptop is because it does run Windows XP and even came with an XP image. I was actually thinking of putting XP as my main system but I'm a little weary because I'm sure all future Microsoft products and software will have to be used running Windows 7.
@Tyree - I'm wondering if the 2x2GB will show a lot more or just a slight more improvement over the 2x4GB? Currently both slots are empty so I will be purchasing a pair. Usually I would just try out both and see, then return or sell the ones I won't be using, but the only problem with my HP 4420s is that you have to take apart the keyboard to get at the memory slots underneath! So I don't want to take apart the laptop more then I need to. More questions I have are:
What's the difference in 1066 MGHZ 4GB ram and 1333 MGHZ ram?

Does it really make a difference to get the 1333 over the other? The ram sticks HP sells as factory OEM are 1066 MGHZ so can I even put 1333 MGHZ in?

#5 ·
7 is a considerable improvement over XP.
Many newer OEM units do not support XP so make certain all the needed drivers are available form the manufacturer before installing XP.
Very few games/apps can utilize over 3GB of RAM and 4Gb is more than plenty for XP.
For 7, 4 or 8GB will show improvement.
1333 is faster than 1066.

#6 ·
Sorry I timed out when I was fixing the post with edit to add my specs.

• Model: HP PRO BOOK 4420s Energy Star with fingerprint security.
  • Hard Drive: 500GB 7200 RPM SATA II
  • Processor: Intel Core I3-390M (2.66 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache)
  • Storage: DVD+/-RW Super - Multi DL Light Scribe
  • Chipset: Mobile Intel® HM57 Express
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit :dance::dance::dance::dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.