Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

windows "freezes" at welcome screen

This is a discussion on windows "freezes" at welcome screen within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, and thanks for giving some time to try and help. Yesterday i installed 2 1 gig ram sticks (pc3200)

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, and thanks for giving some time to try and help. Yesterday i installed 2 1 gig ram sticks (pc3200) to my existing 2 512mb sticks (pc2700), and everything worked without a hitch. I mention this because it was the only thing i had done to my computer, hardware/software wise, all day. Late that night i was playing call of duty 4, and my pc froze. Taking this as a sign that it was itme to goto bed, i switched off my pc and did just that. Waking up this morning i switched on my pc everything was fine until it gets to the welcome/login screen. Nothing comes up, its just a pixelated mess (http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/8...0001ei0rb4.jpg it didn't always look exaclty like this, as I've tried to fix it the screen looks different.) The mouse cursor appears, turns into an hourglass sometimes, and i can even move it around for a little, but then it totally freezes.

Thinking it was the ram, i took

out the two new sticks, but the same thing still happens. The computer boots into safe mode/safe mode with networking just fine, and that what I'm actually using to type this.

After booting into safe mode i have tried running ad-aware, spybot s&d, and avast anti-virus all of which have come up with nothing. I removed the password to my login, and disabled the welcome screen to no prevail. Then set it up to bypass the welcome screen all together which also did nothing (only thing it changed is when i got to the pixelated screen i couldn't move my mouse at all.) I also tried to system restore, but at restart it brings me back to the same pixelated screen, then i have to restart into safe mode where it tells me my computer has been successfully restored.

Hope someone has an idea as to what the problem may be, thank you.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
Registered Member

update: after fooling around with all different combinations of the 4 sticks of ram this is what ive got: (note- slot is paired with 2 and 3 is paired with 4)
1)gig sticks in slot 1 and 2 - the pc wont boot. gives error beeps
2)gig sticks in slot 1 and 2 and 512 stick in slot 3 - pc boots into safe mode but only reads 2 gigs of total ram
3)512 sticks in 1 and 2 - pc boots into safe mode and reads 1 gig of total ram
4)512 sticks in 3 and 4 - pc boots into safe mode but only reads 512 of ram
5)gig sticks in 1 and 2 and 512 in 3 and 4 - pc boots into safe mode but only shows 2.5 gigs of ram

all this leads me to believe that something is wrong with my slot 3 on my mobo. Could this be my problem? It's just odd that my computer did boot when i first installed the new ram, I don't know if all the slots were working correctly at the time though. Maybe slot 3 never worked.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?Sku=M450-2402
this is my mobo btw

Old 05-19-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

So i turned off automatic restart on errors. Then when i booted up windows and got to the "login screen" i let it sit till it froze and then i got a BSOD claiming nv4_disp hit an infinite loop. So then i uninstalled the display drivers, used Driver Sweeper, re-installed the drivers. Now when i get to the "login" screen the pixelation is different, and the computer doesn't freeze up or get the BSOD error. I still cant do anything once i get to that screen. I just move my mouse aroudn till i get tired and restart. Any ideas?