Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

Weird Ram Problem

This is a discussion on Weird Ram Problem within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I had made an earlier post about my computer crashing while rendering video. But after hours of troubleshooting, I have

Old 03-31-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

I had made an earlier post about my computer crashing while rendering video. But after hours of troubleshooting, I have found that when I try to dual channel my two sticks of corsair ram, the computer shuts off as if someone unplugged it while rendering. But when I tested with just 1 stick in all of the RAM slots, the render finished with no problem and I am no longer getting crashes. Is this the RAM's or the Motherboard's fault? And what do you recommend I do?

Old 03-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

It could be that your ram isn't supported by the motherboard for the dual-channel. You can check your motherboard manual for a list of the supported RAMs.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

We need specific information to help answer your question so would you please repost this with appropriate answers to the questions that pertain to your problem, so we can better help you fix your problem quickly.

Computer: Brand Name & Model #

Age of system and relevant components if different :

CPU: Brand, speed

Ram: Type, amount, speed

Operating system: Windows 98, 98SE, ME, XP Home, XP Pro, Vista or Other

Do you run Anti-Virus software: Brand Name, version #, is it up to date?

For Video or Graphic problems:

Video Card: Brand Name, type, speed, Chipset, driver version and date

Video settings: resolution, advanced settings

For Internet problems:

Modem: Brand name and date of driver

Type connection: dial-up, cable, sat/DSL, other

Browser: IE, Netscape, Firefox, Sea Monkey and version #

For Network problems:

LAN or ethernet card(s) or adapters: Brand, # of cards

Router: Brand name, type

# machines on network

Network settings and IP configuration

Please state your specific problem and when it started

Did you change anything, install any hardware or software before the problem started?

List any recently installed software

List software running in background ie: anti-virus program, mail programs, backup software.

(Run,msconfig,ok,startup) and what is checked

Any power disruption or incomplete shutdowns

Failed Scandisk/chkdsk or defrag attempts

Use of any “tune-up” utilities, registry utilities, system diagnostics, other third party utility software

Recent downloaded software

This information may be of critical importance in locating and correcting the source of your problem. Please note any additional information or detail about the problem that may be of value in our assessment of the problem.

Thank you.

In addition to all above, is this new or changed ram you added. Mixed ram or new stick?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:18 AM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware

PC Specs?
Pre- Built Brand & Model Number
Custom Built- Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.
Was the RAM purchased as a matched pair?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote