Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weak Power Supply

3K views 24 replies 4 participants last post by  usaf_ret 
#1 ·
Would the power supply cause a pc to run verrrrrrrrrrrry slow??
I have replaced ram and changed different settings all to no avail..

I dont have any more things that i know to try..

Thanks!!!

#3 ·
We need to know what we're working with to offer reliable advise.
The most power required by a PC is when booting.
PC Specs?
Pre-Built Brand & Model Number
Custom Built-Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.

#4 ·
It is a dell dimension 4500S, it now has 2gig ram.. (Although i have been a contributing member of TSF for many years I have forgotten what all you need to know and how to receive emails when a new post is made).. I will try to check every couple hours for your posts..

#6 ·
Not positive of age, would guess 10 years.. I bought a bigger hd and put it in about 5 years ago and it has a couple usb storage devices attached, all else is original... It is linked to a home network that you great people (your current network manager I noticed) assisted me with...

#10 ·
That's what I was afraid of, trying to get temps from Dell's is like pulling teeth:)

If the CPU is running warm it will slow it self down as a built in protection, malware will also slow down the PC.

Take a look at task manager(right click on an empty spot on the task bar select task manager from the list) on the performance tab, what is the CPU usage and memory usage?

#14 ·
temp was 89F after being off all night.. Just now turned on.. By heat sink fan i assume you mean fan on power supply (pardon my ignorance of tech terms)... I will remove power supply and clean it out good, then get back to you..
THANKS FOR HANGING IN THERE FOR ME!!

#21 ·
If the Hard drive is the problem yes it could as the CPU tries to read write to it.

download and burn the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics to a CD, boot from the CD, If the comes up good we'll send you over to the malware forum to have a look.

If the other drive still has Windows on it and boots this can also tells us it's definitely hard drive related either a failing drive or malware.

#22 ·
WELL............WRENCH, I HAVE TRIED IT ALL; WITH NOTHING BUT SAME AS I HAVE NOW! (sorry for caps, wasnt looking while i typed)..

those tests (only ran first 2) checked ok. I did a complete scan (use AVG) and found nothing.. I put another hd in and it was doing same thing with heat and bouncing cpu... OH YEA; i turned AVG off for 15 min and watched cpu and it hardly ever moved!! And was beginning to cool off during that time...

What now? Please dont tell me to go get a computer! ha

#23 ·
Is AVG on the other hard drive also?

Only a couple of things I know to try, if you think it may be avg, uninstall and try avast free.
AVG removal tool> AVG Remover Download - Softpedia

Avast Free> avast! Free Antivirus - Download Software for Virus Protection

Or follow the "First Steps" and post in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Removal Help forum to make sure it's clean.

Lastly is to redo the thermal paste between the heatsink and CPU, you'll need to remove the heatsink/fan assembly clean off the old with the highest percentage alcohol(90+) you can get at the local pharmacy I use a Coffee filter as a wiper.
How to remove > Follow up to through step 10, do not remove the cpu from the socket> Documentation. This will also allow you to give the heatsink a good cleaning.

How to install thermal paste(Intel Pentium 4 Legacy, Middle Dot Method)> Arctic Silver Incorporated - Home .

Since we can't verify the temp using software programs(I use a infrared heat gun on these) it's hard to know that CPU temp is the actual issue.

#24 ·
Foolow Wrench advice and go to thew Virus forum and run a Dds log as suggested and let some pros look at it.
Avg is an Antivirus and no one has seen a virus in years so scanning with it means nothing or Avast or any other Antivirus. You need malware help first then come back and we can work from there once we know you are malware free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.