Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgraded RAM but fails to boot

SOLVED 
5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Done_Fishin 
#1 ·
Recently decided to upgrade the RAM on my old Samsung R530 laptop. It had previously had 1x1GB and 1x2GB installed. A few months ago I replaced the 2GB with a 1GB.

Anyway. Bought a new 4GB Kingston stick, DDR3 PC3-12800. The two sticks that are already in are both 1GB DDR3 PC3-10600. Popped the new stick in, powered it up, and was presented with a black screen. The only status light is the power indicator. Nothing else. So I pulled the 4GB out, stuck the old one back in, and it booted fine.

I checked with Samsung to confirm the max memory, and it's 8GB, so this shouldn't be an issue? The only thing that concerns me is that the new ram is 12800, and the old one is 10600, but as far as I'm aware, the two are inter-compatible, it'll just scale itself back.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the issue could be? The new RAM is used, but I bought it from a store that claims to test their products before selling them. Could it be they're somehow compatible with whatever they tested it on and not with my laptop?

#2 ·
please verify that the model number is correct and there is no more numbers in it. for example r530-js503

not all r530 series laptops are the same and handle the same amount of ram.

if you are not sure, go to crucial.com and run their scan.

#3 ·
Hi JacobT14,

Please provide the exact model of your laptop like the other poster said. For sure, your computer issue is memory related. Yes, check on Crucial's site to make sure your computer is compatible with the memory you purchase. Hope everything works out well for you and do not hesitate to ask more questions, thank you.

#4 ·
Been really busy the past few days. Scanned the laptop at crucial.com, results of the scan says its maximum memory is 8192MB. One of the chips it says will work on that system is a 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800. Same as the stick I have, but Crucial instead of Kingston. I tested the Kingston stick in my primary laptop and it works just fine, so I'd imagine I can rule out the stick being non-functional? Not too sure where to go from here.

#9 ·
Forgot about this thread completely. I did manage to upgrade the RAM in the laptop, as I'm now using it as a test server. Installed a 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 Crucial chip I had laying around, and it accepted it just fine. I'd say your best bet might be to try a different RAM chip if you have one around, and see if that works. Might also be advisable to make sure the contacts are clean.

All the best!

#10 ·
@awais_rauf

Please follow JacobT14's advice and in the event that you still have problems please open a NEW thread explaining what you have done and the problems you are facing ... would suggest that you give full details of your device too!

This thread is now marked solved and has been closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.