Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

Toshiba Laptop Won't Power On at All

This is a discussion on Toshiba Laptop Won't Power On at All within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Toshiba Model PSAG4U-00U00G A305 Satellite model Laptop, recently it has a problem where it won't start up

Old 10-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a Toshiba Model PSAG4U-00U00G A305 Satellite model Laptop, recently it has a problem where it won't start up at all, I tried replacing the battery but whether the batter is in or out of it, it will not turn on at all.

When I take the Power cable loose and also take out the Battery then put them back in, the power lights show for the batter and the AC current on the front of this Toshiba Laptop. But when I push the Power button, both lights go out and of course "it will not turn on at all."

I've tried taking the AC power cable loose, also removed the battery and then pushed the Power Button for more then 2 minutes and still it won't turn "on" at all either with our without the battery installed in this Laptop.

I've read where there might be a power supply area that I can maybe solder a "come loose?" connection for getting power back on this laptop. Does anyone know about that and that has more instructions for doing this procedure, I'm fairly technically okay, I can solder and take things apart okay to do the soldering.

Thank you, from Steve here for any suggestions or instructions that anyone that this has happened with their Toshiba A305 Model Laptop to see how this was fixed. I look forward to hearing from anyone that knows how to fix this issue.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
Registered Member

The DC jack might be loose have you checked?

Old 10-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yes, checked that first thing, it's not wobbly or loose much if at all, there is always a bit of free play with most Toshiba laptops I've had, but this one is one of the better fitting plug in for the AC/DC converting plug in.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to moebowwow

did u try to use another but similiar rating power cable ??? or

remove the power cable completely and try the battery only n see if the laptop starts up. hold down the power button for about 25 seconds. if this works,let the laptop boot up completely then, plug in the power cable n go into restore point and restore to a point in time when the laptop was working 100% perfect. choose a date in restore point when the laptop was working 100% perfect and then restore to that point in time. once restoration is completed, go to windows/microsoft update and download and install all updates and this will "tweak" yr laptop to perfection.
let me know.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yes, I did try another Power AC/DC power cable, and that did not work either.

To Moebowow, I hope you did understand from my first posting this problem, that I cannot do any Restore Points since this Laptop will not even "Turn On," at all, it won't boot up it won't show anything but a AC indicator on the front panel and a battery charge type light on the front panel of it. It won't go to a BIOS screen or anything, "it won't turn on at all."

Has anyone done this soldier of the AC power connection?

Thank you everyone so far, but nothing has worked at all so far.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
Registered Member

You might have a cracked solder joint, remove the baattery and ram connect ac and try powering on. Any beeps?
Old 10-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Registered Member

No, no beeps at all since when the Power button is pressed, "nothing happens at all." Usually for most computers if there are any beeps, it means it's going near or past the BIOS screens, this laptop computer "does nothing" when the power button is pushed.

I did try to open the laptop case, though I'll have to try again, since it just won't seem to open. Thanks for coming up with ideas.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

This sounds more like a short circuit - possibly on the motherboard - rather than an open circuit because when you press the power button, what little power any capacitors are able to take on is drained.

As you are technically minded, then I suggest you open it up and you may possibly see signs of a damaged component or in the layered tracking.

One other thing that you could check and that is the hinge switch, but basically I think you're looking for a point of discharge - but have a read through this article and try those diagnostic steps which should help determine the area of the fault How to troubleshoot laptop startup problems

These are the disassembly instructions for an A305 How to disassemble Toshiba Satellite A305 laptop. Guide with instructions. and Good Luck !
Old 10-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
Registered Member

Thank you Tomken 15:

I did get it to open it up a bit, but I didn't take out everything (yet, since that will take a good amount of time to remove all the components) that it say's in the Irisvista web site, (that will come soon here for me) but so far I sure didn't see any signs of a short circuit or any damaged components.

I will look into seeing if I do need to remove all the components to see if there is a broken soldered item where the power connector is, since I did other reading about laptops that that seems to be the case for many models with this same issue.

I also did read that Fix Ya that gives symptoms of Laptops.

Let me know if that sounds accurate or not?

Thank you kindly everyone for helping me with this Toshiba Satellite A305 model Laptop issue, it's not my laptop it's a 84 year old Senior Citizen that has a major health issue, and he wants to use it again for communicating by Skype with his daughter and he cannot afford to purchase a new laptop. I didn't put this in my comment since at first it takes too much time to write this. Sure appreciate your help.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

Sometimes with the opening and closing of the lid can damage the inverter cable, so that could be a source of a short.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
Registered Member

I'll have to see if I can check that power inverter connection from the lid to the computer. Wondered, though since this 84 year old Senior guy didn't open and close it much, he would just leave this computer on his desk and leave the lid open all the time. But I'll sure check that too, thank you.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

Given his age, does it look as if anything has been spilled on it ?
Old 10-05-2012, 02:34 AM   #13
Registered Member

it ll be a problem with the motherboard...
Old 10-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #14
Registered Member

Yes, it could be a problem with the Motherboard, but after making some phone calls to some good Laptop repair places, they said it's likely a problem with a power connection due to the AC and battery lights going "off" when the Power button is pushed. This senior guy had the laptop upstairs in a loft area and he never did carry any food or drinks up there, so it's not too likely he spilled any water or anything into it I am guessing, plus the keyboard is perfectly clean so he was good about wiping dust off of the LCD/LED screen and also the keyboard.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #15
Registered Member

You sound rather hesistant to dissasemble this yourself, Would you like some guidance?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #16
Registered Member

Hi Pctoxicated, only issues I do have with taking it apart the guide that I have shows to take "everything" out and I wondered if I didn't need to do that, to check the power connections, and the LCD/LED screen connections on it? The instructions that I have show to take out the CPU and pretty much everything, I'd have to go get some good quality CPU type Heatsink compound to reseat the CPU if I take that out. What do you have for guidance? Thank you for your reply there pctoxicated.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #17
Registered Member

I for one can guide you through it and troubleshoot if you like, How far you have to strip down depends on the laptops design.I have access toToshibas actual service manual for your laptop. Do you have a multimeter? Do you have a 30x + magnifying lens?
Old 10-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #18
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Tomken15 gave you the best available guide How to disassemble Toshiba Satellite A305 laptop. Guide with instructions. some laptop models are difficult to find a service manual for, some are not possible at all

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #19
Registered Member

Tomken15 gave you the best available guide How to disassemble Toshiba Satellite A305 laptop. Guide with instructions. some laptop models are difficult to find a service manual for, some are not possible at all

Yes, that's the dissasembly instructions that I have saved for this Toshiba, it does say though to remove the CPU and about everything, except the LCD/LED screen from the Laptop to be able to check for a loose or broken power connection, I was sure hoping not to have to remove everything to get to that, but if I do I'll have to use some small containers with labels to put the screws in, to make sure I put them back in the right locations. Thanks for you reply Tomken15, I sure do appreciate everyone's help here. Steve
Old 10-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #20
Registered Member

Hi to pctoxicated:

I'll have to go get a 30x Magnifying glass, and yes if you can let me know the link to the service manual, I do have a Multimeter, my older one quit working completely but I do have another one that does work, I'll have to make sure it has fresh batteries in it too. I'll have to see where I can find a 30x magnifying lens or glass though? Since all I have for now is a 10x with a light on it magnifying lens at this current time.