Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The pc doesn't see more ram

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Bill_Bright 
#1 ·
I had decided randomly to upgrade my 12 year old pc just for fun. I was advised to replace windows with a lighter ubuntu (Lubuntu), increase ram from 1 to 2GB, and change the processor.

I installed Lubuntu a week ago and inserted a DDR2 1GB chip in the extra unused slot today. But I check from the task manager and ram is same as before. And I see no difference in speed.

Here is motherboard: HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, RC410-M (Asterope) | HP® Customer Support

#2 ·
Single-channel memory architecture
2 x 240-pin DIMM sockets support unbuffered non-ECC 400/533 MHZ DDR2 memory modules
Maximum HP/Compaq approved memory is 2 GB

is the memory you bought from a HP approved manafacturer?
Does the memory show in the bios?
What manafacturer / Part number is on the memory you added?

#3 ·
#5 ·
So that extra RAM slot sat empty for 12 years, collecting all sorts of grimy dust?

Did you unplug the computer from the wall and touch bare metal of the case interior BEFORE touching the RAM and installing it? If not, you may have zapped your RAM.

I would unplug from the wall, touch bare metal then swap the new RAM with the old to see if it works. If it does, then (with power unplugged and static discharged from your body) reseat the RAM several times in that second slot to [hopefully] scrape off years of dust and corrosion.

#8 ·
After lots of trials I have determined that:
1. Either my pc can use both rams' seperately but cannot detect both at the same time.
2. Or the older ram is the one that's not working.

In either case I have no idea how that happened. I'm really tired and sad from all this stuff :(

#9 ·
Fairly simple to troubleshoot.

System off, remove one ram, and restart system it should show either the ram in one slot or no ram. No ram is the bad ram. but before writing it off , system off, switch slots and try again as the slot may be bad.

Repeat the same for the other ram. You will either find a bad ram or a bad slot.

Basically divide and conquer approach.

#10 ·
Hey folks I have done atleast fifty trials and errors and have come to these conclusions:
1. There is nothing wrong with either of the slots
2. There is nothing wrong with the older or newer rams.(yes I can tell the difference)
3. When alone, any ram will work on any slot and show up in the bios.
4. when both are inserted together, only one of them will show up, both with equal probabilities.

My PC won't use both the rams at the same time. What kind of problem is this? Why is this happening? I can't wrap my head around it. Please help people?

#15 ·
Visit the Crucial and run their memory Advisor tool. It will suggest compatible RAM. You can buy that RAM, or another brand with the same specs of that compatible RAM.

Most other RAM makers have similar tools you can use to compare the results.

#17 ·
Sadly, it is not uncommon for slightly mismatched RAM to run (and test good with MemTest86) individually yet still fail in real world use, or when paired with other RAM. That could be due to the RAM itself, or due to the limitations of the motherboard's or CPU's memory controller. Modern RAM manufacturing technologies ensures modern RAM matches much more closely to published specs. And modern memory controllers are much better at forcing slightly mismatched RAM to play well together. But in this case, nothing is modern.

You might try that tester on each stick one at a time. Let the tester run for several passes. You should have zero errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.