Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

[SOLVED] PSU dont have 6pins for a graphic card

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] PSU dont have 6pins for a graphic card within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys i just collected some money to buy a good card Nvidia GTS 450 1Gb GDDR3 and GDDR5,, still

Old 08-02-2012, 05:58 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys i just collected some money to buy a good card Nvidia GTS 450 1Gb GDDR3 and GDDR5,, still cant decide which to spend money for since i dont know if the difference is that much different.

I collected the money to buy that graphic card but i noticed that for it it need a 6Pin connector and i only have 4pins ,, so i am dying to know if i can actually buy a special cable that can be hooken onto that 4pins..

I got a kinda old Codegen 400W that i got from my fathers old Pc ,,

I read that the minimal PSU Requirament is 400W but that no brand PSU got way less than that..

I really dont have money to buy both of the Psu and the GC ,, also can you tell me if the difference between GDDR3 and GDDR5 is a lot for gaming ,, and does it consume more Power from the Psu.,, its lika 40Dollars more expensive than the GDDR3 version

I dont want to buy the Graphic card , ,someone manage to install it and then that my Pc explodes of a crappy Psu since everything in my Pc is old

Mobo:GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 775 - GA-945GCM-S2L (rev. 1.0)
Ancient Greece Ati x300 Graphic card
4GB DDR2 Ram
Win7 32 bits
Intel Dual Cpu 2.0 mhz

Also if you need the exactly info about my PSU , i will need to open my case

Old 08-02-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

Do not install the new GPU with that PSU. It's very poor quality and underpowered.
You need to be at 550W minimum with a good quality PSU.
All SeaSonic- All XFX- Most Corsair (not the CX-GS-M Series) are top quality.

Newegg.com - XFX Core Edition PRO550W (P1-550S-XXB9) 550W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:03 AM   #3
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

In all honesty if you can't afford to buy a new PSU when you are planning on buying a better graphic card like the Nvidia GTS 450 then I would recommend to wait.
Because one thing is for sure that the Codegen 400W PSU is pretty much junk and the last thing you want when you get your new graphic card and install everything is for the PSU to fail and damage your card in the process. For the GTS 450 I would recommend a minimum of 550W Seasonic, XFX or Corsair (Not the CX, GS, M series).

Also I do not know of any places you can buy a cable that will make a 4pin into a 6pin and even if there was such a cable I wouldn't recommend using that PSU. Anyways this PSU would be great for that card: Newegg.com - XFX Core Edition PRO550W (P1-550S-XXB9) 550W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Edit: Tyree beat me to it

Thrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
Do not install the new GPU with that PSU. It's very poor quality and underpowered.
You need to be at 550W minimum with a good quality PSU.

Newegg.com - XFX Core Edition PRO550W (P1-550S-XXB9) 550W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Just when i think i will finally enjoy a good Pc bad lucky just has to happen xD
ah nevermind ,, thanks man ,that GC does look pretty cheap for that Woltage and got a even cool name xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
In all honesty if you can't afford to buy a new PSU when you are planning on buying a better graphic card like the Nvidia GTS 450 then I would recommend to wait.
Because one thing is for sure that the Codegen 400W PSU is pretty much junk and the last thing you want when you get your new graphic card and install everything is for the PSU to fail and damage your card in the process. For the GTS 450 I would recommend a minimum of 550W Seasonic, XFX or Corsair (Not the CX, GS, M series).

Also I do not know of any places you can buy a cable that will make a 4pin into a 6pin and even if there was such a cable I wouldn't recommend using that PSU. Anyways this PSU would be great for that card: Newegg.com - XFX Core Edition PRO550W (P1-550S-XXB9) 550W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Edit: Tyree beat me to it
Thats what i was afraid of ,, money doesnt make happyness my *** xD

Well the thing is i have collected like almost 150dollars and it took me months for that ,, to collect for the good psu it would take me at least 3 more months ..

I could buy the GDDR3 version and save like 40dollars and buy a USED PSU , since new ones are almost the same price as the GC,,but since its used i will never know if its gonna work on not :(..

Btw i am playing World Of Warcraft for 8 months now cause i cant play anything else :(

Also thanks for the post xD

Btw seems the 2 PC stores that i got in my town dont have that PSU :(

They got PSUs like this , same price as that XFX,, all above 60Euroes to 80Euros

Thermaltake 550W TR2-RX 140mm
GIGABYTE SUPERB E 570W
SPIRE JEWEL BLACK 650W (32850)
GIGABYTE GREENMAX 450W (24EPG-X45AC1-29R)
COOLER MASTER GX Lite 500W

Would any of these be ok if i am unable to find XFX Psu ?
Old 08-02-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware

All of the PSU's listed above range from junk to poor quality, none are suitable for your application and some wouldn't make a good book end.
Buy a good quality PSU "first"and then save up for a GPU upgrade, Using a low quality underpowered PSU will only cause you more later when it damages other components.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:42 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
All of the PSU's listed above range from junk to poor quality, none are suitable for your application and some wouldn't make a good book end.
Buy a good quality PSU "first"and then save up for a GPU upgrade, Using a low quality underpowered PSU will only cause you more later when it damages other components.

WOW the PC shops here really suck ,, all of those PSU i linked got the same price as the XFX but as you said they suck :(..

Ahh hell,, gonna need to save money again
Old 08-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN_KAI View Post

Ahh hell,, gonna need to save money again
That would be the wisest decision.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
That would be the wisest decision.
Hey i just google a bit and came across this site ,, well they are really cheap but the the problem is that in my crappy City ,, PSUs like this are like 200dolars ,, or there arent any at all,, thats a problem ..

Btw and this site should be my reference for good PSUs ? if i came across one of those i should buy them ? Best PSU/Power Supply - PC Gaming 2011 - 2012
Old 08-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

As pointed out before SeaSonic, XFX or Corsair (Not the CX, GS, M series) on a minimum of 550W would be best to ensure you get top quality. Looking at the link you provided and assume you can get your hands on a Corsair or a SeaSonic then I say you should buy one of those.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
As pointed out before SeaSonic, XFX or Corsair (Not the CX, GS, M series) on a minimum of 550W would be best to ensure you get top quality. Looking at the link you provided and assume you can get your hands on a Corsair or a SeaSonic then I say you should buy one of those.

OK thanks man ,, gonna be a bit hard finding those PSUs cause they are only like 2 Pc shops in my city that are actually any good
Old 08-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #11
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

What country do you live in? Maybe there is some online stores you can buy those from in your country and get them shipped to you.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #12
Team Manager - Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN_KAI View Post

Btw and this site should be my reference for good PSUs ? if i came across one of those i should buy them ? Best PSU/Power Supply - PC Gaming 2011 - 2012
No it should be your sole reference because they have some pretty poor quality brands listed there.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:06 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
What country do you live in? Maybe there is some online stores you can buy those from in your country and get them shipped to you.
Well i live in bosnia ,, but due to the catastrofic business enviroment ,, many Firms just fail ,, there are only like 2 good Pc shops ..

Also i dont have a credit card so i cant really order anything online

Quote:
No it should be your sole reference because they have some pretty poor quality brands listed there.
Thanks,, will Talk again if i need more help xD
Old 08-07-2012, 05:46 AM   #14
Team Manager - Hardware

You're welcome and best of luck.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #15
Registered Member

HI again guys ,, i think that next month i will have the money to buy the new GC and PSU but i need some opinion..

So i think my budget next month will be like 230Dollars,, and i was thinking of spending like 150Dollars on the GC and 80Dollars on the Psu..

Now the thing is the Gtx 550 got my attention instead of that Gts 450 i mentioned before and the SEASONIC S12-BRONZE 520W..

And now forum guy suggested me that i buy a Ati 6870 and a cheaper FORTRON 400W HEXA 400 PSU ,since he said its not really that Power hungry ,, that Psu is really cheap and i aint sure if its reliable like those you mentioned..

So Gforce GTX 550 with Psu SEASONIC S12-BRONZE 520W or
Ati 6870 with FORTRON 400W HEXA 400 PSU

Please help again xD
Old 09-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #16
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

There is a reason why it's really cheap and it's not because it's better, stick with the S12 520.
The HD6870 needs more power then the 550ti so going with a smaller supply isn't going to be a good idea.
Wrench97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench97 View Post
There is a reason why it's really cheap and it's not because it's better, stick with the S12 520.
The HD6870 needs more power then the 550ti so going with a smaller supply isn't going to be a good idea.
Damn ,, its just that that Siesonic is More than Double the price of that Fortron and i need to balance the prices since every penny is important xD ,, and btw its not like i got high power demanding hardware in my pc ,, its just basic 6 years old stuff.

and Fortron 500W is the same price as that Seasonic ,, hard to figure out why with only +100extra W its double the price :(
Old 09-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #18
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

It's the quality of the components inside that make the difference.
Wrench97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #19
Team Manager - Hardware

Good quality cost more but it also helps to insure a longer life for your components and that saves you money in the long run.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #20
Registered Member

OK in a few days i shall buy :

Ofc my CPU will bottleneck it but **** it, at least i wont be playing this stupid LOL game xD

VGA LEADTEK nVIDIA GTX460 768MB DDR5 DX11 192-bit and
SEASONIC S12-BRONZE 520W

Just curious, Is the procedury of inserting NEW PSU and graphic cards different than the old ones ? cause i know how to adjust old stuff in my pc cause there arent that many cables and slots.

Just asking cause i am not sure if i should give my PC to the shop so they can insert the parts and wait a day or i can just install it.