Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

[SOLVED] firefox keep crashing

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] firefox keep crashing within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Lately i'm experiencing this huge problem. My internet browsers keep crashing. Default browser is Mozilla Firefox 6.0.2, which is already

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

Lately i'm experiencing this huge problem. My internet browsers keep crashing. Default browser is Mozilla Firefox 6.0.2, which is already prone to crashing, so when the problem starts sometimes it will crash 5 times in a row at startup, then work for few minutes and crash again, all in all it's useless to work. At the moment I have to use IE, which also crashes but much rarely, it did only 2x in last hour. I also used Chrome, which had similar problem to IE, so I uninstalled it.
The program I suspected was making troubles was AVIRA antivir, because it gave out some weird error messages, online AVguard could not be activated and I think after full scan completed the big errors started to appear. I am saying that Mozilla Firefox crashes were just unbearable after full scan (this is not 100% sure, just my suspection). Before crashes were not too fatal. There are rare occassions when I get Blue screen, without any clear error message.

This is what I already used to do, after my problem wasn't gone :
MEMTEST for 3 hours. Nothing wrong
I used WD hard disk diagnostic tool, also no problems
I used AVIRA & Malwarebytes full scan, no viruses were found (as expected because I am very cautious and paranoid about it)
I did format main partition, reinstall Win XP.

Mozilla Firefox worked fine, until I installed AVIRA again. AVIRA was installed without problems, working fine at night, I scheduled full scan in midnight, and when I woke up, Firefox had 5 start up crashes, AVIRA webguard was deactivated again, and could not be activated. I uninstalled AVIRA, reset my computer, Firefox worked fine. then I installed AVG, at first there was some error which didn't allow me to install AVG, I reset PC, it worked fine 2nd time. I scheduled full scan for midnight again. And when I woke up Scan was complete, Firefox crashes again at startup, or sometimes it will allow me to do some work and crash again. Also IE crashed once like I already said.

Is it network adapter problem? How can I figure that out?

here are crashes report from firefox
report 1:
http://www.shrani.si/f/N/wO/9ZZEYNN/1/firefox1.jpg
http://www.shrani.si/f/3X/rA/1joTumVD/1/firefox2.jpg
http://www.shrani.si/f/2/bo/1NAIh2a0/1/firefox3.jpg
http://www.shrani.si/f/1I/eK/2HiThNO1/1/firefox4.jpg
http://www.shrani.si/f/1w/tt/4T2IEtf3/firefox5.jpg

report 2:
http://www.shrani.si/f/1R/lf/1NbbWRrZ/1/firefox2-1.jpg
http://www.shrani.si/f/4/ia/3N46yv9m/firefox2-2.jpg

Old 09-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi try unistalling the anti virus and try microsoft security essentials or avast and see if it works better with one of them

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Also Try running Firefox in Safe Mode
Old 09-25-2011, 03:08 AM   #4
Registered Member

firefox in safe mode does not help, I can't even tell if safe mode makes it crash less or not, because there is no consistency in crashing in normal mode. Sometimes it will crash 3 times in a row on startup, 4th time it will crash after 10 minutes of browsing, 5th time after few hours. Yesterday I did not have more problems of crashing, but when I woke up today (I kept opened Firefox and some other programs) it crashed again. So my next step was to uninstall AVG, but I got error message (I have this huge error log in .txt if that helps I can paste it or upload somewhere). so I was unable to uninstall (same thing happend to AVIRA), I tried again and I got BSOD, which very fastly disappeared, I could not see the message (but I guess it was something like MEMMORY_MANAGEMENT or XXX_MANAGEMEN). After restart the BSOD immediately happend after desktop in XP appeared, this time there was no clear message, also very fast. 2nd restart of Windows worked fine. I was able to uninstall AVG, my firefox crashed only once in last 10 minutes. I will see what will happen tomorrow morning, this time without any installed antivirus program.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Having more then one Anti-Virus can cause serious problems. Use the Avira Removal Tool Even though you uninstalled AVG use the AVG Remover to completely remove it. After restarting install Microsoft Security Essentials
Old 09-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
Registered Member

I don't think Avira Removal tool is for removing AVIRA itself, but some antivirus removal tool?? also I never used more than 1 antiviruses at the same time, and I belive uninstall worked fine both times. At the moment I don't have any antivirus program, but still firefox did crash twice today after I removed AVG. So I don't think MSE will change these things too much into better, or you still suggest it?

Also I have noticed this problem: I am using older version of Camtasia 6.00, video producing tool. Now the problem I am experiencing is this: Everytime I try to produce usually around 5 minutes long video, the rendering will stop around 50-60%, without any response from Camtasia. I have only experienced this problem in the past when temporary storage folder was too full. If I cleaned it with CCleaner or ATFcleaner, rendering worked fine after. But since my firefox crashes, cleaning temp folder does not help anymore. But rendering works fine in Safe mode. it looks like there is something wrong with memory? There was that blue screen of memory_management or something like that, which I mentioned in upper post after 2nd try of AVG uninstall. Also the Camtasia error, as I understand it, seems connected with memory.

also keep in mind that I have already formatted whole main partition C, where windows was installed before. I only kept other partitions which only documents and videos were kept, and the same problem is happening after formating and reinstalling. I will try to use whole night memtest again and report any info or changes tomorrow. For me it is very unlikely that software would cause the same problem again. There must be some hardware problem.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar03 View Post
So my next step was to uninstall AVG, but I got error message so I was unable to uninstall (same thing happend to AVIRA), I tried again and I got BSOD
OK, in the quote you said you had a hard time uninstalling Avira (Avira is an Anti-Virus software and the link is the specific Clean Uninstall for that program, not any other AV software) If you have a hard time uninstalling an AV program, then you should use the Clean Uninstaller that I linked you to in post #5 to totally remove the software. Once you have run them and restarted, if your computer is stable install MSE. But I am confused where you say that you have formatted the C: drive. Was this before or after the AV install/uninstalls?
Old 09-26-2011, 02:03 AM   #8
Registered Member

I will try to repeat my problem. Computer works fine for most of the time, I have no problems in installing programs or uninstalling them. Then suddenly something happens, coincidentally while I sleep and do nothing on PC, except I just keep programs opened. I wake up and I see firefox is crashed. I try to restart it crashes again, at that time I also see AVIRA webguard got deactivated, I try to uninstall and I get error message.

The only solution is safe mode, where I am able to uninstall AVIRA normally, sometimes even just resetting computer helped. Same happens with Mozilla Firefox, sometimes reset will help prevent crashing sometimes not. This drove me crazy, so I did format & reinstall windows, I did install my usual programs, including AVIRA, when I woke up next day, same problem happend. I had to uninstall AVIRA again and now here I am. Still everything the same, no consistency in crashing, no specific reason that would cause it, very frustrating.

I also tried MEMtest again tonight. I kept it for 7 hours, it passed 7 times without errors. I just used default settings (checking was automatically started without me doing anything). I don't know whether I should make some configuration changes, or is that default test enough?

by the way, the more and more info I am figuring out, I am realizing problem does not really have to do much with firefox. Firefox just seems to be the most vulnerable, and most effected to the actual problem, as I said before even IE and Chrome kept crashing, just not that often, and for example right now my firefox crashed, and also skype was closed for no reason and no error message was put out. I am suspecting all the AV troubles, firstly with AVIRA and then with AVG are not the cause of the problem, but the consequence of it.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #9
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi please post the full spec of your computer,and also check the bios for voltages and temps

Old 09-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
Registered Member

I did format my pc again, reinstalled windows XP, did not install any software. Waited for all the XP updates to install, when I tried to install latest NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT drivers, I got blue screen, which immediately disappeared (but I saw typical memory_management error again). next time I restarted my PC, NVIDIA driver installation worked fine. After that I did put out of my computer my only hardware I added into it Trendnet network adapter, because connection kept failing, even though I enabled it and worked fine for few minutes. The next thing I installed Camtasia. This time the program was crashing a lot, something that did not happen even before my XP reinstallation. So basically there is lots of different program crashing.
------------
Now here are my specification
--------------
ACPI multiprocessor PC
disk drives: WDC WD649AAVS-007B 600 GB
display adapter: nvidia geforce 9600 GT
DVD CD: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50
IDE ATA ATAPI controllers: Intel (R) 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 family)
Imaging device: Brother DCP-110C USB
keyboard: standard 101/102 key
Network adapters: Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E
Trendnet TEG-PCITXR 32-bit
Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM)2 Duo CPU 8400 @3.00 GHz
Motherboard: ASuSteK Computer INC. P5KPL-AM EPU
--------------------------------------
Windows XP Professional SP3, activated
2600.xpsp.sp3_gdr.101209-1647
---------------------------

Do you need any other info?
--------------------------
like I said in the past I did run WDC hard disk diagnostic tool (but only in windows because dos version didn't start), it was done in 2 and half hours, without any errors.
Memtest havent find anything in 7 hours.
The only hardware which I added is TRENDNET network adapter, I also tried to use the original (on motherboard Atheros) as my internet connection and TreNDET, in both cases I experienced similar crashes and errors, so I am assuming network adapter is not the source of the problem. Neither is RAM or Hard disk, I guess next suspection is motherboard or graphic card?
Old 09-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #11
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi I would suggest you try this for the hdd SeaTools | Seagate
and this for the graphics FurMark: VGA Stress Test, Graphics Card and GPU Stability Test, Burn-in Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net

Old 09-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
Registered Member

btw. in bios i can0t get information because everytime i click on HARDWARE MONITOR it freezes, and I have seen similar problems from other ASUS users. I guess in program SIW there is also temperature monitored?
Old 09-26-2011, 12:32 PM   #13
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

try this CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

Old 09-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #14
Registered Member

this is info from CPU ID:
I did start Camtasia which crashed again, during the time, temperatures at athat grow for only around 2 °c

other tests are coming

is there a tutorial about furmark program? i only started burn in test and it came to 82 celsius then i closed it, coz i did not know what to expect. can you tell me any settings, tutorial, how long to run burn in test?
Old 09-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

According to CPUID your Power Supply Unit (PSU) +12V setting is way too low, It should be close to 12V but it is 8.25V. Try replacing the PSU.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:57 AM   #16
Registered Member

so you think all other tests are pointless until I change PSU?

well i still tried to use seatools
this is what happend:
all the test passed till long generic which was never completed because of this error:

after program crashed and I tried to restart seatools:
I got this:

I dunno is that error something which happens because of HD problems, or more likely because of some other problem (probably PSU?)

nevermind my long generic test was finally completed and passed, well I guess you found the problem, I will report back when I change my PSU.

oh I forgot to ask. as I have no clue about power supply units. what specification should I actually look at? Which PSU you suggest me to buy ?
Old 09-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #17
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi the recommended types are listed here look at a minimum 650w Power Supply Information and Selection

Old 09-28-2011, 07:35 AM   #18
Registered Member

i changed it. the voltage is still very low. varying from 7.5 to 8... i guess it is motherboard then ? or any other option? could u suggest new motherboard for my specifications?

so do you think its motherboard problem, or maybe CPU ? something else? Is there a way to be sure?

my old motherboard is Asus P5KPL-AM EPU

North bridge: intel p35/g33/g31 revision 10
south bridge: intel 82801GB (ICH7/R) revision 10

CPU Intel R Core TM 2 DUO CPU E8400 @3,00 GHz
CPU socket: Socket 775 LGA
System slots: 4 PCI
maximum capacity: 4096 Bytes
Memory Slots 2

RAM:
DDR2 (PC2-6400)
400 MHz speed

-------
is this: asus-p7p55d good for me?

it says compatible processors: core i5 and core i7
compatible RAM technology: DDR3 SDRAM

can I put my CPU there and RAMS? even though RAMS are DDR2 ? Or do I need to look at specific motherboard which support DDR2
Old 09-28-2011, 08:55 AM   #19
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

What PSU are you now using?

Before spending any more money, boot into BIOS and confirm the +12V reading. Software system monitors are not always 100% accurate, and 8V on the +12V rail is very low, so could be a false reading. If the BIOS screen is still crashing, use a multimeter to test the voltages. Instructions: Learn How To Diagnose Power Supply Problems ~ LockerGnome IT Professionals
Old 09-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #20
Registered Member

ok now i am really confused. i have tried to find info about my problem on internet, there are people who had similar problem, software have shown their +12V is around 7,6 and it turned out the software were just showing wrong information, at the same time BIOS showed right one (I can't check BIOS coz it freezes). But surely my new PSU does not have the exact same problem as my old one, so the information is wrong, or is there possible some other hardware part is bringin down that voltage?? so where do I go now at this point? Back to fumark testing of my graphic card ? I still did not get any info how to do that actually.

do you think my computer would even start at this voltage (7,55-8,25?)

EDIT: i am using 700 Watt PSU, koala i wrote my last message before I saw your post, so there are some things you have just mentioned.