Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

[SOLVED] Dell PC will not power up

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Dell PC will not power up within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Have a 7 year old Dell Windows XP PC that will not turn on. The computer when i push the

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

Have a 7 year old Dell Windows XP PC that will not turn on. The computer when i push the power switch a yellow light blinks, but will not turn green and power up. The yellow light continues to blink, and no power to key board etc. I tried unplugging and different plug and nothing. Tried holding down power switch and nothing, only yellow light located next to power button blinks. Is there somthing else i can try, like some kinda power reset or process. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Can this kind of issue be repaired.. Help

Old 09-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Model of the dell?

Power supply may be bad...see if you can borrow one to try

Old 09-05-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
a bit alien

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

it does sound like a power supply issue, one thing you can try first, open the case, make sure it is dust free, and make sure all cables and cards are plugged in properly.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:57 AM   #4
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

When you power on the computer does the fan on the power supply spin up?
Old 09-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware

Highly likely the PSU has failed. Any OEM PC over 2 yrs. old is a good candidate for PSU failure.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:29 AM   #6
Registered Member

The model is a Dell Dimension 2400. I checked all connection and all appeared secured. The fan does not turn on only the yellow blinking light. Although I opened the case and could see a small green light on which is near the mother board. I removed the power supply and tried plugging it in to and still nothing. If the power supply was good , should the fan spin when plugged, even if it's tested unattached on pc. I don't have and extra power supply so I ordered one online the same one for 40.00 with ship. When this arrives do I just install and try powering up, or is there something else I have to do before powering? Ok thanks all.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Carl, if you remove the power supply and plug it into a wall outlet, it won't automatically start up. You would have to place a load on the PS, like a fan or hard drive, and jumper 2 wires to test it.

Since you've already ordered a new one, mount it in your case, carefully connect all your plugs and fire it up.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks Fred... Wow i figured it would start up out of the pc.. I'm not to much of a tech person, so i dont know how to jump it with wires.. I hope it's the power supply, since i already ordered it. Can't wait for it to arrive, so i can test to see.. I'm going to check at my employment and see if they have any old pc's laying around that are not needed. Can I use one from another dell, does it have to be a 2400. what if it doesn't have all the plugs mine does. I have about 6 plugs that hook up inside. I was also thinking of adding another memory card. My PC has two spots and it only has a 256Ram. I was told to buy a 1gb and plug on other spot. Then i would have the 256ram and the 1Gb. Can I do that? Well first I'll wait to see if this power supply solved my first issue.. thanks all for the valuable help.. You guys are great...
Old 09-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Mixing ram is really not a good idea...problems tend to pop up. If you get it working with the new psu, Go to cruial.com and run the system scanner.
http://www.crucial.com/
Crucial is the best memory for OEM pc's like dell,hp, etc. Then compare the prices at an etailer like newegg or tigerdirect, etc.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Carl, since you've already ordered a PS, I didn't bother explaining how to bench test it. What is it you want to remove from an old work PC? RAM or a power supply? Don't get too far ahead - wait to install the new PS. If you ordered the correct replacement PS, it will have all the necessary plugs.

If you want to add additional RAM to your computer, it looks like the largest memory stick you can add is 512MB, so the max memory you can install in that PC is 1Gig. 256 is the bare minimum to run Win XP, so adding more memory will be a drastic improvement. If you can find a 512K chip from a computer at work for free, do it. Or even buy 1 or 2 512K sticks. Mixing and matching won't be a problem, as long as they work and match your PCs specs.

I'm basing the max memory info off a quick search on your PC, you'd have to verify this is correct. Dell says your PC uses PC2100 (266-MHz) or PC2700 (333-MHz) DDR SDRAM (non-ECC) memory.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:51 PM   #11
Registered Member

Ok.. No luck with used parts. I'm going to wait for the psu to arrive and see if this solves issue. Then I will order two 512 memory cards and see how it works. What next if the psu doesn't solve power up? Just getting prepared if there is another problem. Thank you for your guidance...
Old 09-13-2010, 08:43 AM   #12
Registered Member

Still waiting for part, should be here on Wednesday . Can't wait to test it out ...
Old 09-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

OS: Windows 7 64 Professional, Slitaz Linux 2.0, Xubuntu 9.10, Mythbuntu 11.10, Windows XP32 SP3

Send a message via AIM to Horusrogue Send a message via Yahoo to Horusrogue

Since you cannot reach BIOS at all, it wouldn't help to reset everything to failsafes, so until the PSU comes in, I wouldn't touch anything.

I would try to buy RAM off somewhere like Craiglist as DDR prices are through the roof. Again, maybe a store online will be clearing out its aging stock, so you may be lucky.

Its amazing you are even surfing the web properly with 256mb PC 2700. :P
Old 09-13-2010, 05:17 PM   #14
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Dell's also have 4 diagnostic lights, when you get the new PSU, install it clear the CMOS by removing the coin cell battery on the motherboard while you are installing the power supply, if it still won't start take a look at the Diag lights and see what code they are giving you.

Diag> http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...n/advtshoo.htm

Motherboard layout> http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...ov.htm#1105465
Old 09-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #15
Registered Member

So I need to remove the small battery inside after or before i install the psu. And these diagnostic lights you mention, where are they located.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #16
Registered Member

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, xp SP3, kubuntu & Windows Vista

Send a message via Skype™ to Derreem

check the switch behind the power supply and change it to a diffrent voltage and see what happens
Old 09-15-2010, 01:10 AM   #17
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derreem View Post
check the switch behind the power supply and change it to a diffrent voltage and see what happens
No the switch is set to the voltage that is used in the country you live in, changing it to 115v if you live in Europe will burn the PC up.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:13 AM   #18
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car121 View Post
So I need to remove the small battery inside after or before i install the psu. And these diagnostic lights you mention, where are they located.
The lights are located on the back panel near I/O ports.
I would remove the battery while you swap the supply but it makes no difference when.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:15 AM   #19
Registered Member

Wrench, i kinda thought the same thing as far as changing the voltage. Thanks for catci g that.... Now I'm new at this stuff . What is the IO ports not sure what they look like and where located, sorry . The psu should arrive in a few hours. I will remove battery, connect psu, install battery and plug pc. Should I connect computer screen and all other components like keyboard etc. Or just plug pc in outlet and see if it turns on?. And if it works then turn off and plug all other components?.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #20
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Input/Output ports where all the wires connect to the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dell2400 rearview.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	78480  

Closed Thread