Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

[SOLVED] Computer cuts off before POST.

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Computer cuts off before POST. within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. CPU: Intel Q9450 Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX RAM: 8GB CORSAIR XMS2 DHX (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:32 AM   #1
Registered Member

CPU: Intel Q9450
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX
RAM: 8GB CORSAIR XMS2 DHX (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Vid Card: EVGA CO-OP Edition GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 (448 x 2)-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported
Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 Modular
Drives: 3x OCZ Agility Series OCZSSD2-1AGT30G 2.5" 30GB SATA II MLC SSD (Raid 0), Western Digital 1TB, and Western Digital 250GB.
Case: Antec 902

Obviously, I just recently updated to Windows 7. When doing so I added in my 3 OCZ SSDs and put them in RAID 0 as a primary drive for OS, Apps, and games. Also, I upgraded from my old 8800GTS to a GTX 295. Everything else was in my comp and stable running Windows XP (32bit). Setting up the array and installing Windows 7 went smooth with no problems.

The system was stable up until about 2-3 days ago. First, I notice my computer had shut off when I came home. I thought this might have to do with my hardware not having drivers compatible with Windows 7 sleep mode and so I disabled the option and thought nothing of it. Next day, I install Borderlands, which had pre-loaded through steam, set the game to play at decently high graphics, and played for hours. However, near the end of the session everything rapidly closes and Windows shuts down. When trying to turn my computer back on it would almost immediately cut back off. I waited 10 mins assuming that this may have been an over heating issue with my CPU heatsink being knocked loose or maybe the GTX 295 . The waiting works and I am able to POST so I go into BIOS to watch my temps to see if anything idles higher then normal, but nothing does. Next I boot Windows and go into event viewer and find this:

C:\Windows\system32\winlogon.exe (User) has initiated the power off of Computer on behalf of user Computer/User for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
Reason Code: 0x500ff
Shutdown Type: power off

The next day I spend time trying to reproduce what happen to see if I can determine where the problem is. The same thing happened again with the sudden shutdown and having my computer immediately cut off when trying to power up. I swap out my GTX 295 with my old 8800GTS and still won't get to POST. I swap out my RAM sticks and samething. I take out my SSDs to see if they are overheating because I have them stacked together and attached to the bay with velcro. They are ice cold the whole time. I reseat my CPU and check the thermal compound and everything looked fine. Took out my sound card and used the intergrated on the Gigabyte. Also, the problem seems to be getting progessively worst in that Windows was not completeing the shut down successfully before the power cut out, which it had been able to do prior.

Finally, last night I realized I had made a mistake. My Antec 902 case has a bottom bay for the PSU and I had installed it upside down or I guess right side up considering the I was looking from the back, but either way the fan was face down against the case. It's been like that for maybe 2 months and I guessed that with all the new hardware the lack of airflow finally started over heating it. I reinstalled it correctly and boot windows, but with in 2-3 mins the system crashes and cuts off.

Now when I try and turn it on it immediately cuts off no matter how long I wait. Also, after the cut off about 5-10 secs later it tries to cut back on and repeats this over and over.

I realize that the PSU not having the fan right side up for a while was bad, but would this really kill it? I felt the PSU several times and it was never hot. Anyway, suggestions would be helpful.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I would go with your first instinct and try another PSU in it. Heat is a big killer of electronics and could have started causing problems with the PSU.

Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager Administrator
MemTest86+
PC Running Slow?
Virus/Malware Help
Old 10-28-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

what voltage is your ram running at
Old 10-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcatz View Post
I would go with your first instinct and try another PSU in it. Heat is a big killer of electronics and could have started causing problems with the PSU.
Yeah, only problem is I need another PSU. Like I said it never felt hot, but I only started to check it once the problem occured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dai View Post
what voltage is your ram running at
It should be the default voltage, but I can't enter BIOS to double check.

Almost everything in my computer is 2 months out of the box or younger. I previously had bad caps on a mobo that was hidden under the CPU heatsink and rather then be smart about it I shotgunned the problem, but did so knowing that this is how I would have upgrade anyway.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware

Try removing 2 sticks of RAM-Reset the CMOS and try to boot.
Filling all the RAM slots on a mobo can cause Voltage issues.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
Try removing 2 sticks of RAM-Reset the CMOS and try to boot.
Filling all the RAM slots on a mobo can cause Voltage issues.
1) Would the issues manifest 4-5 days after installing Windows 7?
2) Will reseting CMOS mess up my raid?
Old 10-28-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware

Yes & Yes

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes & Yes
I should have been more specific. I had the all slots filled for a few months, but I was on 32bit XP waiting for W7. Even though XP didn't recognize the other two sticks aren't they still being powered?

If this is the problem how do I fix the voltage problem?
Old 10-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware

Yes, all RAM is being powered and used if they are inserted in the Mobo.
XP only "sees" up to about 3.5GB.
There is no "fix".
4GB of RAM is more than sufficient for any game or app available at this time.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, all RAM is being powered and used if they are inserted in the Mobo.
XP only "sees" up to about 3.5GB.
There is no "fix".
4GB of RAM is more than sufficient for any game or app available at this time.
I've already booted with just 2 sticks when I was diagnosing the problem. If reseting the CMOS is just to get me that far then there is no point. If putting 4 sticks changed something that reseting the CMOS will correct then... I am still probably going to go buy a PSU first before I kill my array and all the things I setup.

If my PSU turns out to be good then I'll just ebay the one I bought and if the one I have is bad then I'll rma it and ebay the replacement. The only way I'll be angry is if I lose my raid .

All failures. New PSU does the exact same thing. Tried clearing my CMOS using a screwdriver connecting the pins, removing two sticks of RAM, and still nothing.

So I've swapped CPU, PSU, graphics, sound, and RAM. Not much left except mobo and the case itself.

When I turn the power switch on the PSU the computer turns on right away and a few second later cuts off. Sometimes it will continue this cycle until I switch the PSU off. Also, I notice the cut off occurs right as the CPU fan beings to turn on.

This is frustrating as hell considering everything is new.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:47 PM   #11
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

set it up out of the case on a piece of cardboard with
cpu
video
ram
speaker
and see if you get post
check you have the correct amount of standoffs no more no less
that they line up with the holes in the m/board
usually 9
Old 10-29-2009, 07:35 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dai View Post
set it up out of the case on a piece of cardboard with
cpu
video
ram
speaker
and see if you get post
check you have the correct amount of standoffs no more no less
that they line up with the holes in the m/board
usually 9
Yeah I will see if maybe a screw is shorting the mobo. I think I just used the one's from my old mobo rather then the screws with washers that came with the gigabyte.

Actually, that gives me an idea. What "if" it is the case or more specifically something to do with the power pin/cable or the power button itself. If somehow that has shorted it might act like I'm holding down the button.

It would explain...
1. Why my computer would shutdown rather then crash at first.
2. Why it now cuts off 4-5 secs after turning on.
3. Why it cuts on the moment I switch on the PSU.

It's ok if I unplug it and use the reset pin/button in its place right?
Old 10-29-2009, 08:33 AM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

My System

you could do that, or you can also just unplug the power switch and short the two connectors for the power switch with a screwdriver, that will turn it on also, and give you the best test of wether the switch is bad or not.

MemTest86+
PC Running Slow?
Virus/Malware Help
Old 10-29-2009, 11:37 AM   #14
Registered Member

It's making more and more sense now.

Can anyone with Windows 7 confirm that pressing the power button on your case will result with the process below in their SEL?

C:\Windows\system32\winlogon.exe (User) has initiated the power off of (Computer) on behalf of user (Computer/User) for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
Reason Code: 0x500ff
Shutdown Type: power off

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-7-Future-Releases-to-Fix-Post-RTM-Issues-119880.shtml

Also, I found one source where someone had a laptop that had similar problems with shutdowns and was seeing 0x500ff in event viewer. He got it to stop by disabiling the laptop keyboard and instead uses a USB keyboard.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:22 PM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Yep, I'm running 7 here at work and I got that exact error in the system event log.

MemTest86+
PC Running Slow?
Virus/Malware Help
Old 10-29-2009, 01:39 PM   #16
Registered Member

Well, it could be it then. Maybe moving my case when I put my gtx 295 and SSDs the day I got Windows 7 caused the leads to start touching and everytime I moved my case to trying to fix the problem has made it worst to the point now it just remains in a closed circuit.

It would be the second time something that costs less then a dollar was messing up my computer.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

My System

only way to find out for sure is to test it like I said earlier and see if that works.

MemTest86+
PC Running Slow?
Virus/Malware Help
Old 10-29-2009, 03:50 PM   #18
Registered Member

Well, using the reset switch as my power button has worked. I was able to get to BIOS. Since I did a CMOS reset I'll have to reconfigure my raid and reinstall windows after I get everything back to the way it was to make sure everything is working, but it looks like it was in fact my power switch stuck in a closed circuit.

Hooray!!! Definitely fixed. Also, I was happy to see that by just reconfiguring the BIOS for raid automatically recognized my array and my drives were still bootable.

Now who wants to buy a slightly used Corsair 850HX Modular PSU?
Old 10-29-2009, 11:47 PM   #19

My System

Sure, if it's cheap.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:46 AM   #20
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

glad you have it sorted