Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

[SOLVED] Check how much power my computer is using?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Check how much power my computer is using? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there. Im building a new computer and i had to cheap out on the power supply because i overspent

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi there. Im building a new computer and i had to cheap out on the power supply because i overspent on the GPU. Not a good combination i know, but I will upgrade the power supply when i can afford.

My question is how do i look at how much power my computer is using? Can i have a programme running that checks this data, and displays it when im playing games or just web browsing etc? I would also like to check up on how my GPU is doing if anyone knows of a programme for this.

Thanks TSF

Old 12-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
Senior Tech hardware team

My System

Try this link for an online Power Calculator (provided you know exactly what's in your pc): http://www.antec.outervision.com/ I'm not sure how accurate these online power calculators are though. For GPU monitoring you could use GPU-Z or HWMonitor. And with HWMonitor you could just make sure your voltages are very close to the stated volts. I think it should not be more that a 5-10% difference from indicated ie. 12v, 5v etc. especially under load. BTW what PSU did you get (specific brand and model) and how many watts is it.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware

I don't know of any software that can accurately measure power consumption.
The PSU is the very last place to cut costs. Using a low quality underpowered PSU is the surest way to damage your other hardware.
Brand & Model of the GPU and PSU?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
Registered Member

Won't it cut out if it cant take the heat? Im pretty sure it will. Antec high current gamer 520watt
Old 12-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
Registered Member

O Johnny's comment didnt show up. Thank you :-)
Old 12-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

Antec PSU's are poor quality and 520W is not sufficient for a PCI-E GPU. It "might" shut down and it might not?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #7
Registered Member

Its rated bronze so its pretty good quality. Just has low watts
Old 12-08-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
Registered Member

Antec PSU's are not poor quality man.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware

Antec "Used" to be good quality but they change suppliers too frequently to be reliable.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
Registered Member

Why do TSF always say such broad generalised put downs? The Antec being poor quality power supplies remark is so ignorant. I bet it has to be a corsair right? Or its poor quality xD xD What are you going by? I asked for a way to monitor my power consumption. If you read the system requirements of a 6870 it says it requires you to use a 500 power supply. I already know i'm using the minimum power supply. Antec power supplies are just as high quality as corsair and usually a lower price. But why would you turn the conversation into this?
Old 12-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #11
Team Manager - Hardware

Your money your decision and best of luck with your high quality Antec PSU.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/f210...on-192217.html

Old 12-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #12
Registered Member

Why did you post that link? I have read it already. That link is not about my question.
Maybe the newer supplier is better? Why is it automatically worse? Dont you think they would make sure they are using quality materials? I think they would. However, i do not care about the brand bashing. Stick to the question. If you dont wanna post then thats cool but if you post stick to the question. Otherwise it is not helping and you sound like a dick.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #13
Team Manager - Hardware

I posted the link hoping you would read it and perhaps get an understanding of PSU quality.
Yes, you would "think" hardware retailers would want their suppliers to use quality materials but that just isn't the case. Profit is a powerful motivator.
My posts have been factual with no brand bashing involved. Your questions have been addressed accurately and courteously.
There are no softwares, that I am aware of, that can monitor Voltage accurately and your are using a low quality under powered PSU.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #14
Hardware Tech Team

My System

As tyree stated there is no software that can monitor the amount of power the PC is using sense the PC itself has no means of reading the amount of power its using other than the current voltages the PSU is putting out.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #15
Registered Member

"antec make poor quality PSU's". This is too generalised to be factual. I know a lot about business and quality is key to profit in the PSU world. All the products get tested and rated by a third party so i think they are gonna make it work. Im going to uni now so i cant stay and chat about antec being poor quality. Dam.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #16
Registered Member

Thank you for informing me of the no software to monitor it.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #17
Team Manager - Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by btf18 View Post
"antec make poor quality PSU's".
Rephrase: Antec sells/distributes some poor quality PSU's that are manufactured by several different companies. Problem being, you don't know who made it from one month to the next.
I, as well as many other PC builder's (several Team Mates on this Forum), have had Antec PSU's make our life difficult and cost us money.
One big plus for Antec is their support. There more than happy to send you another unit to replace the failed unit.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

here you are Mr. Pleasant

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882715001

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=125-416

sorry we tried to help you avoid the cliff youre headed to.....BTW how does a 15% capicator aging "per year" fit into your scheme of things?

If you think a poor quality power supply cant make weird issues; think again!http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ot-458103.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ml#post2598903
Old 12-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I Agree with Tyree. Antec used to make decent psu's in the past.

Then they changed suppliers and with with a lower quality platform.

Which is the reason we stick with seasonic or corsair.....They have been consistent with their quality on the psu's

Every once and a while another psu will pop up as good, just to get the brand recognized. Like xfx psu's, currently made by seasonic...but for how long? who knows.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:46 PM   #20
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by linderman View Post
here you are Mr. Pleasant

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882715001

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=125-416

sorry we tried to help you avoid the cliff youre headed to.....BTW how does a 15% capicator aging "per year" fit into your scheme of things?
What a waste of cash. An extra 20 dollars to know how much power the PSU is pulling from the outlet? That still will not show the strain the PSU itself will have put on it from the components inside the system.