Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

PSU Problem

This is a discussion on PSU Problem within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I just bought a new PSU and it's a XFX PRO550w core edition. It took me a while but

Old 03-31-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

I just bought a new PSU and it's a XFX PRO550w core edition. It took me a while but I got everything connected and it now seems to be working fine however there is not much space in my case so that might be a problem. Anyway, I no longer have a cd/dvd drive when I click start then my computer, but I did plug a cable in there. I guess it could be a wrong cable, or maybe I need to add a different one but I did try that..

Old 03-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Check that both connections are securely connected to the drive and the IDE/SATA cable is connected to the motherboard and power from the PSU.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
ROG Enthusiast

OS: Windows 8 Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, Windows XP SP3, Windows Server 2008

My System

Hello UnrealChamp,

Could you please list your full specs,

Check to make sure your CD drive has both the SATA/Power connections seated correctly, Also check to make sure you have them in the correct socket on your motherboard.

Failing that could you upload a picture so we can see? :)

Thanks,
Altie

Please post Hardware Specifications of your computer.(Including Power Supply!).
Memtest86+ | Seatools
How to Benchtest
Info & Selection of PSU's
A1tecice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1tecice View Post
Hello UnrealChamp,

Could you please list your full specs,

Check to make sure your CD drive has both the SATA/Power connections seated correctly, Also check to make sure you have them in the correct socket on your motherboard.

Failing that could you upload a picture so we can see? :)

Thanks,
Altie
I done everything correct yesterday apart from one thing... connect it to the motherboard lol.

Is it possible to remove any wires from a wired PSU? My case has literally no air flow and i'm about to add a new graphics card and most of the PSU wires aren't being used.

That is my PSU
Old 03-31-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
Hardware Tech Team

My System

No way to remove the unused wires.

Maybe can use zip ties to route and tie up the extra. Maybe an unused drive bay?
Old 03-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks! I will try that later
Old 03-31-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Yeah just tie back what is not in use and you mentioned you put cable back in cd drive but there should be 2 cables. A power plug and a data cable.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #8
Team Manager - Hardware

Same as above ^
We all have to tuck away the unneeded wires and the drive bay is the closest place.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote