Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

power supply way too loud (for me)

This is a discussion on power supply way too loud (for me) within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So I recently built myself a really nice computer. I wanted it to be really silent but at my surprise

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

So I recently built myself a really nice computer. I wanted it to be really silent but at my surprise the psu was really loud I chose a cooler master 650w and got pwned because the fan is so loud it makes me puke (not literally but whatever) I paid a lot for all my other parts so they would be the most silent I could get. Now I need to change the fan, And I'm presently looking for a really silent 120mm psu fan to fit in my psu.
The sound is not unbearable but i am really disapointed with the noise it produces. I wanted something really silent and got a loud psu instead :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 12-11-2008, 04:01 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

OS: Win7 x64, Vista Ultimate x86, Server 2K3 Enterprise x86, Ubuntu Lucid Lynx x64, OSX Snow Leopard x86

My System

Send a message via AIM to magnethead

a power supply fan should not be loud. I have a cooler master real power pro (that's the only cooler master's we reccomend) 780 watt, the CPU fan is the loudest thing in the case.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnethead View Post
a power supply fan should not be loud. I have a cooler master real power pro (that's the only cooler master's we reccomend) 780 watt, the CPU fan is the loudest thing in the case.
No way, my cpu fan is the infamous Scythe Zipang its so quiet you would juice yourself.

I double checked and it's indeed my PSU fan that is loud. It's not unbearable like I said, but not as silent as I wanted. Your answer didnt help me at all but thats ok ayt least you tried.
Why am I so sure of it? Well i just stopped all my fans from my computer except my psu and the noise was still there.

So I am still asking the question: What would be a good replacement psu fan?
I am looking for a 120mm fan.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Which Model Coolermaster did you get the real power pro or the extreme power?
If it's the real power pro you may want to consider a warranty claim as it may be a sign of a problem with the psu or of overloading it.

If you want to replace it you'll have to take it out and measure it to find a matching Scythe unit of course this will void the warranty on the psu.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench97 View Post
Which Model Coolermaster did you get the real power pro or the extreme power?
If it's the real power pro you may want to consider a warranty claim as it may be a sign of a problem with the psu or of overloading it.

If you want to replace it you'll have to take it out and measure it to find a matching Scythe unit of course this will void the warranty on the psu.
extreme power pro 650w.
are you sure this will void the warranty? There is no sticker on the grill where i can replace the fan.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:37 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

If you open it up, it will void that warranty. I would RMA it if you can.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:30 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed36 View Post
If you open it up, it will void that warranty. I would RMA it if you can.
ok thank you
Old 12-12-2008, 03:34 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Have you looked a spcr's list of quiet psu's?
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article699-page1.html

btw - glad to hear the Scythe Zipang is real quiet, got my father one for christmas, the stock is way to loud and that's the only way they'll ever get a quiet one. Can't hear my Scythe Ninja 2 either, they make great fans.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimx133 View Post
Have you looked a spcr's list of quiet psu's?
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article699-page1.html

btw - glad to hear the Scythe Zipang is real quiet, got my father one for christmas, the stock is way to loud and that's the only way they'll ever get a quiet one. Can't hear my Scythe Ninja 2 either, they make great fans.
Good choice.
Yeah I checked that list and am now buying an Enermax PSU. I'm getting it for 80$ ^^(The first one in the list) will put the one I currently have in a computer that I'll build for my uncle :P
Old 12-15-2008, 09:39 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

OS: Win7 x64, Vista Ultimate x86, Server 2K3 Enterprise x86, Ubuntu Lucid Lynx x64, OSX Snow Leopard x86

My System

Send a message via AIM to magnethead

Somebody correct me, but i dont remember enermax being an approved PSU by TSF. But I can't remember, so...
Old 12-16-2008, 10:17 AM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

Enermax used to be one of the best on the market about four or so years ago. Then their quality began to suffer and about two or so years ago, they began to ship so many crap supplies (multitute of problems) that most forums and testing services took them off their approved list. We have not seen a great improvement in the past year or so in their product (and they are not quiet either), therefore could not recommend that anyone purchase one. Hope than answers your inquiry magnethead.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:25 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

quiet = Seasonic

The first seasonic I installed I thought it was defective when I started it ........... didnt hear any noise so I didnt think it was running ........ until cmos screen popped up

If you think a poor quality power supply cant make weird issues; think again!http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ot-458103.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ml#post2598903
Old 12-16-2008, 04:18 PM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by linderman View Post
quiet = Seasonic
The first seasonic I installed I thought it was defective when I started it ........... didnt hear any noise so I didnt think it was running ........ until cmos screen popped up
I agree with linderman on the quiet issue. I only use Seasonic power supplies in my personal computers. They are super quiet and powerful.